PS5 storage architecture: RIP SATA SSD

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by hfm, May 17, 2020.

1. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yeah I know I missed it, sorry senso :(

But dang thats still fast, so what do you know about the ps5 drive and what makes it groundbreaking, everyone seems to be talking about it.

2. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    JRE84 likes this.
  3. IntelUser

IntelUser Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yup, nothing special. You can RAID enough of them to try to get 100GB/s and won't affect anything on PC. Actually RAID will make it worse in some scenarios because it increases small file latency.

In PCs you can't change things as much as a console because its a general purpose platform and has to take everything into account. If you start changing filesystems and such you'll break compatibility with applications and hardware.

Also, games are mostly read only so you can jack up the transfer rates and not worry much about durability. If on PC SSDs are used like DRAM, you'll see its lifespan measured in days. You need little bit more revolutionary hardware such as Optane DIMMs. Yea they are expensive and that's how the world is - you can't get everything you have to choose and make compromises.

hfm and JRE84 like this.
  4. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No I remember that post I just didn't see anything revolutionary....its like a larger capacity es ram like the xbox one has. the reason i say this is because es ram changed nothing

5. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The revolutionary part is how the entire architecture is working together for the singular purpose of extremely efficient and fast transfer of game assets from storage to video card with the least amount of bottlenecks possible.

JRE84 likes this.
  6. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yeah because I don't know what the points in that post meant.....thanks for clearing that up :)

7. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I am not sure exactly what you are asking. I'd say the best we're going to have to do is trust game devs when they say it is, because they would know best they are the ones working around the current limitations in their day to day work. And also wait for more in depth analysis once people have the console in hand.

I'm probably not going to buy either one of them at launch anyway, the OG XBox One we have is still good enough for our uses, and we hardly ever use it at this point, I never even bothered to get a PS4, traded in the PS3 when we got the XBox One for Skyrim. I can't even keep up with the games I want to play on PC let alone trying to dip into the console exclusives. I think God of War would be the only thing I'd like to play and I'm not about to get a PS4 just for that. What will probably happen is we'll get an XBox Series X when a new Bethesda game drops that takes advantage of it and my wife wants to play it. That's pretty much how the last two gens went. Bought XBox 360 on Oblivion launch day, bought XBox One on Skyrim launch day. I'm guessing we'll get an XBox Series X on Elder Scrolls VI launch day because I'm going to take a wild guess Starfield is close enough to have an XBox One version perhaps.

JRE84 likes this.
  8. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    you covered what I was asking....I just personally don't find a hard drive running like ram to be revolutionary....nothing amazing and I also wonder why microsoft and sony didnt use 5tb hardrives and opt for an optane solution...having 1 tb ssd storage for these new consoles is going to suck, not fun installing and reinstalling library

9. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Because the cost of 5TB of storage and Optane memory is EXPENSIVE. It's better to be smarter about the architecture itself with components that are more cost effective.

10. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Optane didn't exist when the console's where released, nor would they be able to use them as they're exclusively AMD hardware, aside from the Switch which is also not Intel. Also, a 5TB HDD back then cost basically 2/3 of the console pricing