PS5 storage architecture: RIP SATA SSD

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by hfm, May 17, 2020.

1. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It's been a while since we've had any technology move the needle in a single generation in any meaningful way. This seems like it would be the best shot at that when combining this storage tech + ray tracing + just more power in general.

But, these are just tools to build a game experience. We still need talented dev houses to actually execute on that utilizing these new features. Still also need good art direction, good gameplay, etc. These features are only going to be useful insofar as devs take advantage of them.

Prototime likes this.
  2. thegreatsquare

thegreatsquare Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    https://www.pcgamer.com/unreal-engine-5-tech-demo-pc-performance/

The Unreal Engine 5 tech demo, Lumen in the land of Nanite, has caused quite a bit of excitement since it was released. While we won't be seeing anything using the technology any time soon, and the engine itself won't be dropping until next year, that hasn't stopped a small war erupting between would-be fans of the next-gen consoles.

This escalated after an interview with an engineer from Epic China (which has since been taken down) revealed that the demo seen running on the PS5 ran just as well on a laptop. In fact the PC reportedly ran the demo better, with the PS5 managing 30fps at 1440p while the laptop hit 40fps at the same resolution. The laptop in question is no slouch mind, featuring Nvidia RTX 2080 graphics and a 970 Evo Plus.

hfm likes this.
  3. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    LOL.. I'm still eager to see an exclusive game take advantage of the storage tech and the rest of the pieces of the whole. I am not surprised at all that a 2080 can push that many polygons. Seeing how that 2080 by itself without the rest of the laptop parts is more expensive than the entire console.

4. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No offense but that's kinda a dumb comparison. It's like saying a Ferrari I own is slightly faster than a Honda civic. A 2080 laptop will cost you more than 3 consoles and 2 games for each console....I wish NBR members would stop comparing things as though money doesn't exist it's easy to come by or everyone has unlimited supply therefore comparing a 600 dollar item to a 4000 dollar one as though they are equal and can be fairly compared.

I honestly had better logic at 4

But back on track... exclusive titles may show us the unseen

5. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I wonder how all this direct access to the SSD streaming from the GPU is going to impact longevity of the SSD. Streaming all that data essentially turning it into a scratch drive has to be very rough on the NAND cells....

JRE84 likes this.
  6. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    By the time the SSD is done...it will be time for ps6 and rest assured a big company like Sony is well aware of the details. But yeah as you guys are thinking. Exclusive titles may force true gamers to buy a ps5 so they can enjoy hopefully new fun experiences

7. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Reads won’t impact longevity, and NAND can survive petabytes of writes. If anything, the system will become obsolete, or other parts like the controller will fail, long before then.

hfm likes this.
  8. thegreatsquare

thegreatsquare Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There will be cheaper mobile GPUs about as strong as the 2080 [3060/3070] closer to the PS5's launch than we are now ...after, but not too far after. The comparison is useful enough to see where PC is and can be in the near future compared to the PS5, which is going to be the weaker of the two consoles coming later this year. The super fast SSD can only do so much. If the SDD isn't the bottleneck and the CPU isn't the bottleneck and the RAM isn't the bottleneck, that means that Sony built a console where the GPU is the bottleneck.

JRE84 likes this.
  9. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    It’s not the reads I’m worried about. The GPU constantly writing stream data worth several GBs has to hurt. It sounds like it’s essentially a very active page file for GPU overflow. The Memory endurance greatly depends on the type of NAND being used. Doubt you will see PB endurance on a QLC or PLC drive

JRE84 likes this.
  10. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If the GPU ends up being the bottleneck that will be truely awesome and something to behold. I don't know about you guys but I might just after 30 years switch back to consoles for 1 or 2 years.

edit.

This might be the year of the gamer with cysis remastered coming out you might see more than you expect....its possible crytek will make crysis remastered close to photo realistic I really think it will knock are socks off. As for ps5 im sure they will be able to push the envelope even more.