PS5 storage architecture: RIP SATA SSD

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by hfm, May 17, 2020.

1. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You need an SSD in your posting my friend!

2. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The SSD in PS5 is revolutionary because it achieves a lot of things:

• Data decompression is handled by the controller in the IO complex and doesn't use CPU resources.
    • Data coherency is handled by hardware.
    • Data can directly be sent to GPU caches.
    • GPU scrubbers can redirect to correct memory locations without needing to flush and reload memory.
    • DMA controller to control SSD memory with fine grain as extended RAM like.
    • Co-processor to handle read file I/O requests and remove that latency

All of this coupled with a fast SSD of 5.5GB/s allows for something that is not currently possible on PC - but the real reason such SSD's were developed, was to counter the small amount of very expensive RAM on the new console.

Essentially, this state of the art SSD allows the console to "act out" as if it had way more RAM that it does, so that games can focus on loading and handling seconds worth of data and keep loading.flushing necessary memory in real time. Instead of the old trick of loading everything into regular RAM (like an entire section of a level) and then games load from RAM.

Despite having NVMe drives for a while, and SSD drives in general for a long time, games and game design have never really taken into account their use for gaming. Depending the game, the only thing you would notice, at best, would be reduced load times. But this is not how SSDs will be used in next gen consoles, and if such innovations reach PCs, we are looking into far better gaming development around SSD's performance.

does this mean we need a PS5 caliber SSD? Nah, NVMe drives in general are quite powerful and fast. But they will only get faster and we will finally have more impact on gaming thanks to them. I am not so sure how interconnected the GPU is to the SSD in PC. If we had the same caches and direct access, we could be loading far more texture data on the fly that would allow more detail on screen and simply load/remove memory as needed.

Robbo99999, hfm and JRE84 like this.
  3. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:

Thanks for summarizing this (obvs I was too lazy :p)!

With these types of real world optimizations coupled with the fact that the ps5 (and x1x for that matter but I digress we're talking PS5 storage arch) will have 16GB RAM tells me the PS5 is going to be a game changer really. Only 7% of respondents to the Steam Hardware Survey have over 16GB of RAM, with 16GB being most common at 38%. This console generation is going to be stellar. Streaming assets from storage and getting them into the rendering pipeline is the number one bottleneck for a lot of open world games that want to use extremely high levels of detail and polygon counts in their scenes. It's a stroke of genius architecting it this way.

EDIT: but what @thegreatsquare says is true, cross-platform games will tend to have to account for the lowest common denominator. It seems like PS5 exclusives are going to be some damn impressive works. I mean the Sony exclusives always were pretty special most of the time anyway.

Now I just need nvidia to release the 3000 series and price it competitively. :)

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  4. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Imagine ps5 exclusives with 200gb worth of textures being streamed...i'd imagine if they are able to pull this off we might see some pretty impressive open world titles

hfm likes this.
  5. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Hopefully the 1st party devs and dev houses making exclusives can put their money where their mouth is on this one... I guess we will find out over the next couple years.

JRE84 likes this.
  6. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I really see them doing games at a photorealistic level this time....super excited for october.

but i fear in the end its just a gimmick like the cell processor in the ps3 which in the end did exactly nothing great

7. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Very useful for number crunching.....only very recently decommissioned from USAF super computer usage. We had some in the lab at university for protein modeling purposes

triturbo and JRE84 like this.
  8. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    cool but for ps3 gaming it did nothing. and i highly doubt a uberfast ssd will do much when the common denominator is the half speed ssd in the xbox s x

9. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I want to see what they do with PS5 exclusives.

I recall quite a few PS3 exclusives being pretty good late in the cycle. I recall it taking a lot of time for devs to wrap their head around it.

10. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    yeah it was complex to program for. uncharted comes too mind

As for exclusives yeah its possible for it to be a game changer, only time will tell....i'm a bit of a cynic