PS5 storage architecture: RIP SATA SSD

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by hfm, May 17, 2020.

1. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Looks like SATA SSDs are most likely not going to cut it in a year or so for new AAA games. We don't have a lot of details about this yet, but Sweeney saying it is pretty damning.

I doubt this is going to let it start at the proper timestamp, historically had an issue with that embedding video, topic is at 22:00

Robbo99999 and Prototime like this.
  2. Niaphim

Niaphim Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    While theoretical performance is good, it is still worth considering if all this data is going to be processed by CPU and RAM. I think data bandwidth is not going to be the limiting factor for games and make SATA obsolete anytime soon. Also, what kind of gains are we talking about? In games NVME has no perceivable (only measurable) advantage over SATA, and no impact to performance once a game is loaded. This should only affect loading times.
    Anyway, it's always interesting to see how the technology improves.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    unlogic and Prototime like this.
  3. cj_miranda23

cj_miranda23 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How does ssd affects FPS & Frametime?. 30 FPS gaming is not something to be considered revolutionary and that I don't want to experience regardless of the media hype on PS5 SSD!

Mr. Fox, Ashtrix and joluke like this.
  4. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I'm trying to wrap my head around what Sony might have done here that has not only Tim but we've seen statements by other devs as well that what they did was revolutionary. Can't wait to see a deep dive on it. Sony has been shooting themselves in the foot enough marketing this thing that I highly doubt they are paying anyone to say these things.

5. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Allocate more pcie lanes to a custom NVME controller and software/os management is my bet. It’s not some wild architecture like Cell was. It’s just another AMD box with newer internals. It’s possible that MS took the same pcie lanes and routed them to the GPU for better performance in that department in conjunction with a bigger core.

6. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Compared to the PS4 where the HDD was connected to the "chipset" via an USB to SATA converter, almost anything anything will sure blow the devs away by how fast it is compared to the actual crap interface.

And to make it faster than current NVMe, they can just use a x8 wide NVMe interface, boom, no need to PCIe4.0 to have faster speeds than current on the market NVMe SSD's, the question is, did they really do it, because that sounds expensive, and consoles are made to a price point.

Ashtrix likes this.
  7. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It's already been proven that PCIe 4.0 SSDs (or even SATA vs PCIe gen 3) has near zero impact on PC gaming, but I suppose if they are actually taking steps to architect streaming large amounts of assets into the engines then it stands to reason it might actually make a difference if the software was built specifically to take advantage of it. Probably why there are next to zero gains for gaming moving to faster storage right now is the entire hardware/software architecture isn't built to take advantage of it.

JRE84 likes this.
  8. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I was thinking the same thing.

Look at GTA V though while flying a jet over the city causes textures to disappear and HDD cannot keep up....perfect example of why next gen consoles need a ssd..however will m.2 ssds become obsolete with new gen of gaming...absolutely not they are programming games with the new xbox and pcs in mind..the least powerful setup will get a worm also..

Very exciting knowing ill be alive to see photorealistic gaming in october....no looking back game graphics are going to peak this generation and upgrades will no longer be needed this much is a no brainer if you think about it.

9. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Prototime likes this.
  10. thegreatsquare

thegreatsquare Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    PC gaming needs usually comes down to what's the lowest common denominator. The XSX doesn't have a PS5's SSD, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

...and it only took me ~12.5 years to reach a 1000 posts.