PS4 Pro or Xbox One X?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by saturnotaku, Apr 16, 2018 at 10:15 AM.

?

Which console should I buy?

1. PS4 Pro

6 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Xbox One X

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    With the recent announcement that Shenmue I and II are being re-released for modern consoles, this is exactly the motivation I need to purchase one. (Yes, I know the games are coming out on Steam as well but I'd like to buy a physical copy.) I'm currently undecided about which one to get, and this is probably the only forum on the Internet where I can ask this question and receive reasonable responses. Here is the way I see things right now.

PS4 Pro

Pros:

• Shenmue III
    • More and better exclusives
    • Cheaper upfront cost
    • Nicer UI
    Cons:
    • Not as powerful as Xbox One X
    • Limited (as in almost zero) backward compatibility
    • I don't like the DualShock controller layout as much

Xbox One X

Pros:

• More powerful hardware
    • Excellent backward compatibility
    • Some games include a PC version with purchase
    • More comfortable controller layout
    Cons:
    • No Shenmue III
    • Fewer exclusive titles
    • More expensive upfront cost
    • UI is not as nice as PS4's

Shenmue III, a larger number of high-quality exclusives, and lower hardware costs are the major points in the PS4's favor. The Xbox's more powerful hardware, superior backward compatibility, more comfortable controller, and Windows integration are why I'd like to go with that platform. I don't care about online play.

I'm leaning toward the Xbox, especially since the PC version of Shenmue III will include a physical copy but I am open to reasonable arguments either way.

2. ChanceJackson

ChanceJackson Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Unless something has changed since the kick starter ShenmueIII should be cross platform but even if it is no longer going to xbox, you could get the steam version of Shenmue III

3. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    Shenmue III was announced for PC and PS4 only, and now almost three years later, there has been zero hint of a release outside of those two platforms. Sony itself is providing support, most likely in terms of marketing, media production, and distribution, rather than actually developing the game. Aside from giving Yu Suzuki permission to use the name, Sega has nothing to do with Shenmue III.

Now the Shenmue I and II collection is a Sega-supported project. The company has had a strong relationship with Microsoft, so it's only natural that this title would see an Xbox release.

4. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Since you have a gaming PC, the PS4 might be fun just for the exclusives, that is if you like those titles, i.e. God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted, Yakuza, etc.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018 at 12:20 PM
    Convel, killkenny1 and ChanceJackson like this.
  5. Datamonger

Datamonger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Get the Xbox One X. You get more for your money with that system. Backwards compatibility with Xbox 360 and the original Xbox, 4K Blu-ray support, 4K streaming support, and a generally more powerful console. Even if you don't have a 4K TV, Ultra HD Blu-ray movies can still be played, the resolution is just downscaled. I have an Xbox One S myself and have watched a couple UHD movies on my 1080p Sony Bravia. The UHD movies do indeed look better, even at 1080p.

6. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    PS4 Pro. PSVR looks awesome, and exclusives look way better for PS than Xbox this generation...and I'm saying that as a Halo fan who didn't hesitate to get an Xbox 360 over a PS3.

The miniscule differences in hardware performance shouldn't govern this decision in my opinion. The fact that the Norse God of War looks amazing, and Halo is in a tailspin of "meh" right now, should decide the issue in my opinion.

Edit: Shadow of the Colossus remaster!!!!!!! That's a system-seller right there in my opinion.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018 at 12:44 PM
    Vistar Shook likes this.
  7. saturnotaku

Reputations:
    And the people have spoken. The only God of War game I've played was on the PSP, but getting this bundle was going to be the best deal since it retails for the same price as a regular PS4 Pro but it looks cooler and comes with a copy of the game and Delxue Edition DLC, which is worth $70 on its own. My plan was to get it from Target since I have their credit card that gives 5% off every purchase. Knowing this was probably going to be a hot item, I made sure to stop at the store on my way to work. I checked stock, and every location in the area had at least 2-3 available. Got there, made the purchase, and went on my way. Out of curiosity, I kept checking Target's website as well as those of other B&M stores. By lunchtime, at least 1/3-1/2 of local Target, Walmart, and Gamestop stores were sold out. As of now, only a small handful of these places have them, with the exception of Best Buy who must have received their supply a bit late because as of now most locations near me have them available. Bottom line - if you're thinking about picking one of these up, you should probably act pretty soon. People have been flipping them on fleBay for around $550.

20180420_223359697_iOS.jpg

Vistar Shook likes this.