PROSTAR Clevo P775TM1 vs ASUS ROG G703GX

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by rickddda, Apr 9, 2019.

1. rickddda

rickddda Newbie

Reputations:
    I am looking at two laptops in the $3k range as a replacement for my desktop and another laptop.

Here are the links:

PROSTAR Clevo p775tm:

https://www.pro-star.com/p775tm1-g3.html

- i7-9700k / RTX 2080

ASUS g703gx:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834235121&ignorebbr=1

- i7-8750h / RTX 2080

I can get the p775tm at around $2600 and Asus at regular retail $2999.

I'm trying to get the best performing laptop and I don't really care about noise, weight, portability, etc.

At first, I thought the p775tm is going to outperform the g703gx, but after reading a review on notebookcheck.net (https://www.notebookcheck.net/Euroc...z-Clevo-P775TM1-G-Laptop-Review.413719.0.html), I saw that p775tm is actually falling behind as per GPU performance.

I have several questions.

First, I read somewhere else that 9700k would prevent some micro-stuttering issues that happen on cpus with less cores. Is it still true here?

Second, is the data in the review article representative of daily performance? Like there wouldn't be a significant difference for gaming performance even though the cpu is so much more powerful?

Third, is the stock power supply from PROSTAR (which is 330w) enough for the 9700k/2080 combo? The ASUS is coming with a 500w power supply although using a less power hungry CPU.

Fourth, after reading the posts in the p775tm owner's lounge, I saw people said that they would never get a Clevo from a non-Prema partner (@Ultra Male), and since PROSTAR is not a Prema partner, should I get it from HIDEvolution instead for the bios?

Thanks everyone! If you guys have any others suggestions let me know.

2. rickddda

rickddda Newbie

Reputations:
    Also Prema mod said on Twitter that ASUS has a 200w limit for their 2080s comparing to 150w for the Clevos. Could that explain the performance difference between the two?

3. stamar

stamar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    xotic pc sells prema bios but its not advertised

if a locked bios is important to avoid also check whether the asus can be unlocked

for this feature i think the best to actually go with alienware or msi I cant predict. but one thing id say is that you chose 2 cpus that dont overclock anyway

you then do describe that the gpu on the clevo might be vbios or tdp limited, which case i would want that prema bios that could totally be the only route to change power maximum

i dont want to over or underestimate bios modding as a skill however in the popular gaming models its done so often its functionally free or there are 100s of people you could pay as opposed to one famous one. just an imo

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  4. rickddda

rickddda Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm wondering if the ASUS can be unlocked as well. I don't see that as an option on HIDEVOLUTION's website (http://www.hidevolution.com/custom-built-asus-rog-g703gx-xs71-17-3-fhd-144hz-i7-8750h-rtx-2080.html). Could you confirm if it is true? @Donald@HIDevolution

You're right and I also don't intend to do any overclocking. I think that although you might be able to get something from someone else, the reputation and relative experience of Prema make me feel like it would be more reliable to go with them.

5. rickddda

rickddda Newbie

Reputations:
    Update: talked with Donald at HIDevolution yesterday and placed an order for p775tm because it should perform well and will be more futureproof with the thermal solutions they provide.

6. LoneSyndal

LoneSyndal Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Speaking from experience, P870DM-G still runs like a champ after 4 years of constant travel and abuse and still runs everything it needs to run well.

rickddda likes this.