Prolonging Alienware Laptop Battery Life

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Alien FlyBoy, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ex3beatnik

Ex3beatnik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey guys, just had one question.

Should you take out the battery from the laptop when using the machine with power cord plugged in or just keep it in there? Does it make a difference if you don't put the battery in at all if you are using power cord?

2. LannBot

LannBot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    There's no point leaving the battery out imo, having it in there wont degrade it or anything in my experience. If fact, if you leave it out, it's an inconvenience if you accidentally kick the adapter out of your laptop or the power goes out. Having the battery in there might save you some heartache if you forgot to save your work lol.

3. Defengar

Defengar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    From what I understand, having the battery in while plugged in is apparently bad for it in the long run (like 2-3 years).

4. homank76

homank76 Alienware/Dell Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In my experiance Dell batteries don't last very long anyway.

5. fmzambon

fmzambon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In my opinion, I think it depends on where the battery is located in the laptop. I have a 6 years old Toshiba satellite m60 which, according to some reviews, got about 3 hours of battery time when new (I don't remember if I actually tested it).
    Now it gets more or less an hour, still on the original battery and never removed it when not needed (which is 99% of the time, as it is always plugged in). Fact is that the battery in that laptop is far from all of the major heat sources.

If the battery is near a major heat source in a specific laptop model, then I think that it may be worth to remove the battery when not needed, but if it is in a cool location, I'd leave it there.

Andrea.

6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    My Dell laptop batteries seem to last as long or longer than the batteries in other laptops I use for work (or previously owned). No worries about that for me. They always stay in and connected to AC power 99% of the time. Still getting 4.5 to 5 hours on my M18x on IGFX after nearly a year.

As you can see by the older posts on the subject of taking the battery out and being connected to AC power all the time, this is a frequently asked question. With modern batteries it is not a problem like it used to be. What you want to avoid doing is making a practice of frequently draining the battery. They don't have a "memory" and frequently fully draining and recharging will shorten the life, not help it.

7. CryoBolt

CryoBolt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wait, so what does the Fn+F2 do now on the new systems?

8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Basically... nothing. ;)

It makes an icon appear temporarily on screen but my settings remain unchanged. It does not seem to toggle. It is supposed to turn the battery off.

9. CryoBolt

CryoBolt Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's dumb.

Sent from my SGH-T999

10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    No, not so dumb, at least in my view... just not effective. It doesn't really matter one way or the other to me. I'd have no use for it even if it did work. In fact, I'm kind of glad it does not because the "Stealth Mode" thing that is on the M17x R2 was idiotic. I'd rather have a power saving feature be broken and non-functional than have it trying to work when I don't want to save power.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.