Prolonging Alienware Laptop Battery Life

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Alien FlyBoy, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silario

Silario Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

Would the procedure StevenX propose really work?

I'm intending to use the m14x as a desktop replacer at home and still bring it out to study and work and it is too much of a hassle to keep removing the battery for long hours usage.

Please do advise!

Thank you :)

2. DarthPierce

DarthPierce Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Having worked with lithium ion degradation tables as an EE, I can say that if you're going to be plugged in the vast majority of the time, but you know in advance about the few times you'll be using substantial battery power (e.g. it mostly sits on your desk except the monthly flight to hawaii) the best thing to do would be to disable charging in the bios when the battery is about 30% charged (not drained or full).

Then, the dayu before you go to hawaii, re-enable charging, and get it charged up. Use it on your flight. if you drained it below 30% charge it back to 30% while it sits on your desk, then disable charging. if you're above 60%, use it on battery till you're below 60%, then disable charging and plug it in on your desk. Rinse. Repeat

The above is only true if your battery will be spending most of the time not being used. (say less than once a week). If you're using it more frequently than that, just leave charging enabled.

Since there is a bios option to disable charging, there is no need to remove the battery at all. besides, it is a great ups if you have slightly dodgy power.

hope that helps

Also, I don't know one way or the other, but there are design (marketing) decisions that could have been made by dell/alienware that make the above less true. Specifically, if they design a "fully charged" battey to actually be ~90% charged, it gives ~10% less run time in a battery test while extending battery storage and cycle life substantially. This change makes it less important to not be stored fully charged (the main thing being accomplished in my above advice).
    The trade-offs from dell are reduced run time while new (review benchmarking, basically) for happier long-term service... It's basically a marketing decision for an engineering trade-off.

3. Panja

Panja Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

My laptop is plugged almost all the time. To prolong alienware m18x battery life(or any laptop for that matter) while gaming is it best to take it out? And use AC only?

I was searching on internet but there are lots of statements that are self-contradictory to the others... One thing for sure is that heat kills li-ion batteries much faster.

Also, any of you who had alienware for a long time and constantly had battery and ac plugged in. Is your battery life still quite long after a couple years or dies within 20-30min?

Sorry to post in a new thread if it was answered before, i didn't find it.

4. Eddie12390

Eddie12390 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am pretty sure that the BIOS contains an option to stop the battery from chargining which you should do.

5. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  6. ebondefender

ebondefender Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I discharge mine to around 33-25% now and then, then charge it completely back up. Sometimes I'll let it go around 50% and plug it into the wall, especially during a heavy gaming session. At least every 6 months, I'll discharge it until Windows gives me the critical battery alert, do a complete shutdown, and a total recharge powered off.

I was going to plug my coffee grinder into the laptop and call it Mr. Fusion, but that didn't work. ;)

7. Alienware-Luis_Pardo

Alienware-Luis_Pardo Guest

Reputations:
    Thanks for using our articles! :p +1

Also, new systems (M17x r4, M18x r2 and M14x r2) switch the battery charging automatically, so that when it reaches a 100% it stops charging.

8. steviejones133

Reputations:
    No problem, Luis...that's what they are there for, right? ;) +rep "backatcha" for your great presence on the forum!

9. Eddie12390

Eddie12390 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Feature Request: The ability to stop charging at a custom percentage, such as 60%.

10. steviejones133

Reputations:
    We used to be able to do that with the 17x R2.....I remember using Fn&F2 to cycle between options to enable and disable battery charging whenever we wanted to. I miss that on the M18x.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.