Prolonging Alienware Laptop Battery Life

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Alien FlyBoy, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BatBoy

BatBoy Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    One footnote on the batterybar app, many of these apps grab data using different methods. One may report xx value while another app may report a different value completely.

Apps which report battery 'wear' and current charge level:

Speccy - System Information - Free Download

EVEREST Ultimate Edition - PC Diagnostics | Lavalys.com

SiSoftware Zone

There are also individual battery check only apps out there. One thing I would watch for are older programs released more than a year ago. The apps from back in 2005 - well, I'd question the results.

2. satchmobob

satchmobob Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hey everyone.

I've frequently seen posts here about proper battery care, the do's and do nots for our little lappy batteries... Well, I just ran across this article at Ars Technica...
    Ask Ars: What is the best way to use a Li-ion battery?

Read and enjoy a little more life!

3. MasivB

MasivB Guest

Reputations:
    It's a good read, there are some misconceptions I had about Li-on batteries that this cleared up for me.

P.s. funny picture from human centipede haha

4. satchmobob

satchmobob Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Yeah, I love the HC! Still waiting for the second installment:eek:

5. Killer Juice

Killer Juice Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I was just browsing the internets and I came across this forum where people were claiming when you first get a laptop, you should turn it on and not plug in the AC adapter. You should just keep using it until the battery hits 0% and shuts the computer off.

After this, you should charge the computer completely to 100% without turning it on in between.

Supposedly, you get the most out of your battery if you do this. I've never heard of this. Do you think it actually works?

6. Jetbo

Jetbo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have heard this but at the end of the day the battery which is the same as the m11x is only rated for 300 charge discharge cycles. I personally think I did it with my m11x when I got it and the battery is still pretty good still push 5 hours overclocked bluetooth and wifi on with screen brightness one or two down from max (obviously igp)

7. c1ro

c1ro Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just ignore these rules and prepare to buy a new battery in 2-3 years, you own the piece of kit, not enslaved by it :D

8. stevenxowens792

stevenxowens792 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Or you could just charge it once, remove it and then run with no battery and about one a month pop it in to top it off. Then install it when you really need it.

After I read this to myself out loud.. never-mind. Just save a few bones to buy a new battery in a couple of years.

StevenX

9. stevenxowens792

stevenxowens792 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Scratch that... Bios has option to CHARGE BEHAVIOR - Enable Battery Charging or Disable.

So.. Charge it once, then disable in bios and don't enable it again until you need to charge it.

There you go. If your docked or plugged in most of the time then your battery may last several years.

Take Care,

StevenX

10. MoreNotebooksPlox

MoreNotebooksPlox Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It basically just makes sure the battery is fully saturated, you will get more time out of it, its something you should do once every one or two months.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.