Projector Vs 4k Tv

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ekm9311, Jan 18, 2018.

1. ekm9311

ekm9311 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a ps4 and would like something which I can take to university. I was initially thinking about a 4K TV with the thick gravy words like HDR and low input lag attached to it. But then for uni carrying around a 4k tv would be a joke. then I thought about a short throw projector like Benq HT2150ST. But it got it's own problem like room lighting , screen etc. I personally would prefer the projector but gotta buy it for home use for now. Any suggestions?

hmscott likes this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    University rooms are usually small, or if big they are oddly shaped, and you are sharing the room usually with another person so you have to account for their use / needs in addition to your own. The common area, likely where you would set up the projector would be needed for everyday use, and you'd need to keep moving the projector around to make room for every day life.

The ceilings in the dorms I lived in wouldn't take to mounting hardware, and the underlying beams likely wouldn't be where you want them for projection.

The lighting would be out of your control too with someone else in the room, and more often then not there are other people visiting and studying with you or your roommate making it difficult to coordinate times to dim / drop the lights.

A TV will also be tough to fit unless it fits on your desk furniture, of which there are two sets along with a dresser or other cabinet for storage, all in a very small (relatively) room.

In order to really be able to decide what to bring you need to see the inside of where you are going to be staying, a campus visit is how I learned just how small it was and how little extra room there was. I learned to sleep and study there, and have fun outside in the common areas - for gaming and studying - the library for studying, and the town for varied diet and entertainment. The dorm rooms are going to feel pretty closed in and won't be a place to spend a lot time, at least for me.

Save all the fancy stuff for home, or when you move out of the dorms, and remember, you are there to study - it's not like HS. A normal load will completely occupy your time with little time for recreation - if you want to get good grades and stay in school :)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    ekm9311 likes this.
  3. ekm9311

Reputations:
    @hmscott That's pretty sensible. Thanks for the insight. but in general what would it be. a projector or 4k TV?

4. hmscott

Reputations:
    Combined use and ease of use would be a desktop 4k monitor of a quality you can use for school work, video, and gaming.

Projectors need a clear path to the wall, and low light for best effect.

The throw distance won't be available, neither will a clear path, and even if you get a close to wall upwards projector the room layout will likely not offer a good place to do it except next to the wall along your bed and you won't want to sleep next to it all the time. Bringing furniture out from the wall to make room for a projector would intrude on common area which won't sit well with the roommate.

If you can mount on the ceiling, you need to be able to route the wires for power and signal too, and that will be tough to put in wall in a shared dorm - likely against the rules too.

Another detail is that I was moved from my initial dorm to another dorm after a few months due to construction work, and I moved again to be with another roommate with more similar schedule / interests, so you wouldn't want to invest a lot of time and money into a ceiling mounted projector in that case - or get stuck living in a situation that wasn't conducive to either of you staying in that room.

There are some people with just as strong of interests and ideas in college as yourself. Getting along with people, being able to provide a cheerful and happy living arrangement which is conducive to learning and doing well in school is more important than setting up a home cinema.

It's all about school, forget the leisure time stuff, you won't have time for it at all. Any free time will be spent in study groups and social activities for the school, class, department, etc.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  5. ekm9311

Reputations:
    I wanted to get a 4K TV for home use anyways. you are right. college will be always hectic , with social and academic activities to do. The thought of buying a projector always passed through my mind and wanted to know on whether size beats quality.

hmscott likes this.
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    The good news is the projectors keep getting better with technology getting cheaper too. :)

It'll be easier to deal with when at school, you won't even have time to daydream about cool tech, and can do that on breaks and summer - unless you sign up for summer school like I did. It's best to have some breaks, but tuned for your own interests and stamina. It's nice to finish earlier by completing units year round, but I did take off 1 summer in 4 years and I'm glad I did.

I had stuff I bought before 1st year still around and unused in 3rd year, so building up home tech is wasted as well, unless you share it with family, something for them to remember you by when you aren't around. :)