Project make M15x Pascal and Polaris compatible (DP only)

Discussion in 'Alienware M15x' started by King of Interns, Dec 15, 2016.

1. King of Interns

King of Interns Simply a laptop enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

Welcome to my new project :) Next year I am going to attempt to upgrade the M15x (and of course succeed!)

The idea is quite simple and won't require any soldering whatsoever. The biggest hurdle is finding a space large enough to fix the DP - LVDS converter board.

Components:
    1.) DP to mDP cable $8
    MDP2DPMM4M_Main.jpg
    2.) mDP to LVDS converter (actual size 3cmx9cm) $71
    Capture.JPG
    3.) mPCIE usb chip $5
    maz762CCwvc9JuMyKPA0NHw.jpg
    4.) 2 pin to usb adaptor $10
    cab-1916.jpg
    5.) LVDS extension cable $1
    pc11374715-fi_x30h_to_fi_x30h_connector_lvds_extension_cable_l_195mm_ul1571_28awg.jpg

The plan is to connect the DP to mDP cable up and route it back inside the chassis cleanly enough. Connect up to the converter board and then connect the M15x LVDS cable up to the board. For power I intend to remove the BT module and instead install the mpcie to usb adapter and using the 2 pin to usb adaptor pictured to power it.

Placement of the board would preferably be somewhere where the LVDS extension cable would not be needed.

Thoughts friends? The adaptor board isn't huge but also neither small. Where could we place this bad boy? Near the ODD or somewhere north of the BT mpcie slot in the cavity there...

As for BT and wifi a simple and cheap upgrade to the intel 7260 would bring ac wifi and BT4.0 to the M15x AIO :)

I hope to buy all the parts early next year and then test out using the all powerful 260M. If all works well I will get a Pascal 1060 or better yet an AMD E9550 thus making the mod a success!

The project will cost under $150 plus shipping (much less than a new card) and other than the DP to mdp cable sticking out when in use. If successful a further mod could be created where a new "socket" is created in the chassis side. Thus one could then easily unplug the DP to mdp cable and stow for travel with more ease than a laptopcooler!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  2. aaronne

aaronne Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi, wonderful idea, I follow you because I'm dreamin the same on my m18xr2 that appear still good for my personal use.

Really interested and maybe I've enough space on this beast to mod

Vasudev likes this.
  3. King of Interns

Reputations:
    Indeed! Thanks. Space will be my problem even though the M15x is chunky.

M18x might be better in terms of space for sure.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

4. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    You are using HDD caddy, correct? If so, cut the useless "fin" and stuff the converter on its place.

Use the AzureWave AW-CB160H card with adapters to your/our antennae connector. It's 3x3 so it's worth the extra effort :)

Good luck!

MZWiZard likes this.
  5. King of Interns

Reputations:
    I was thinking along the same lines. The caddy though isnt it a bit small even after modded?

Also the azurwave how does this mod work?

6. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    I don't know the size of the adapter and your HDD caddy's placement and fin size, so I can't possibly know whether or not it would fit. It's up to you to measure it, I just made the suggestion :)

As for the AzureWave, I was talking about this listing.

MZWiZard likes this.
  7. mike26668

mike26668 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Really would like to know if it al works in they end......;)

8. King of Interns

Reputations:
    Me too! I look forward to the project in 2017! Wont hold a candle to your H2O mod though Mike ;)

9. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I don't know about M15x, but as far as M18x is concerned....the empty DMC slot would be a perfect place to put a device to provide power. you could probably stuff the converter board under the keyboard or in the DMC slot area as well.

M15x...space is really tight there. Only spare room I can think of is the optical drive area.

King of Interns likes this.
  10. kosti

kosti Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Do you use your Expresscard slot? May fit in there with the Expresscard pcb and slot mechanism removed. You should be able to then squeeze the small DP end inside the slot opening and route it underneath the laptop to the DP port on the other side. Wrap the pcb in some kapton tape to insulate it, and use some spongy double sided tape to secure it to the chassis.

BTW, I am also using an Intel 7260 (the N version, not the AC version) card with integrated BT. Works great but getting the drivers to work in W7 was tricky. I had to use a separate BT driver to get BT working. I have those drivers if you are going to need them. Windows 10 detects the card and installs the correct drivers so no worries with W10.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
    King of Interns likes this.