Processor X in Group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced p

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by pan0phobik, Feb 10, 2018.

1. pan0phobik

pan0phobik Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Oh no. I've never even heard of it. After resetting BIOS to default, however, it seems like I have stability again. Haven't had a big frame drop in at least 5-10 minutes and they always kicked in before that.

2. pan0phobik

Reputations:
    I take it back, it's still occurring. Just took longer to happen this time. Is it safe to assume this is attributed to my high temps solely?

Edit: Not solely, I guess. When it's occurring, CPU gets LOCKED at .78 Ghz when I view CPU Core Parking Manager.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  3. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Give TS a try.

4. pan0phobik

Reputations:
    What are the chances of hardware failure? I see it has a clear warning about potential damage to the PSU and more.

5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    near zero.

pan0phobik likes this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    First priority... Fix the awful temps!!
    Disable intel speedstep in BIOS will force 799MHz on this model. And please fix your hardware temp. Repaste with quality thermal paste as eg Phobya NanoGrease Extreme, ICD or Gelid Extreme. If you want the very best temp - read you up on how to use Liquid metal (Grizzly Conductonaut). As well use ThrottleStop. Read the guide How to Lower Temperatures, Stop Throttling...
    You will get hardware failure in the end with your awful max temps. Fix it as I pointed out above. Good luck, sir:vbthumbsup:

Edit. I forgot.... You find the main ThrottleStop sub-forum on NBR forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide

Read as well...
    How to Overclock the Alienware 18 and Haswell CPU (or actually have it run full stock Turbo Speed)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Ashtrix, pan0phobik and Vasudev like this.
  7. pan0phobik

Reputations:
    Thanks for helping me finally root this out guys. Much appreciated. I downloaded ThrottleStop but I'm not going to mess with it until I re-do my thermal paste. I did some googling and couldn't find any videos of this being done on an AW18. Any recommendations on a guide for this?

Also unrelated, some of my keys randomly won't generate any input. If I hold down the key it will eventually generate input and continue to thereafter. It isn't really consistent. Very random.

Vasudev likes this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    You're welcome:vbthumbsup:
    Check out bro @Mr. Fox YouTube videos. Maybe he can help, if you're stuck.