Process Laso - Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by Spartan, Jun 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Sounds cool on paper, anyone has any experience with it and can tell me if it would benefit me with my system specs?

https://bitsum.com/

hmscott likes this.
  2. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This seems pointless to me. We are power users why would we use some software to optimize performance and risk breaking things when we already tuned everything for performance?

katalin_2003, hmscott and Spartan like this.
  3. Spartan

Spartan Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    yeah my thoughts too, just wanted to make sure there isn't anything I'm missing.

Thank you brother

Ethrem likes this.
  4. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I don't trust these third party tools. Something always gets messed up and I'm spending the next few hours fixing it or reinstalling Windows (which admittedly is much easier and less of a hassle with Windows 10 now but still a nuisance).

Spartan likes this.
  5. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    Sounds like snake oil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yup, just install Windows 7/8, put it on the internet, and Microsoft will find it and upgrade it to Windows 10 in minutes :)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
    Papusan, HTWingNut and Spartan like this.
  7. hmscott

Reputations:
    It's a fun tool, does lots of fun things, but usually I have enough hardware to power through problems without much hassle.

I have used it in the past with less capable hardware to get the most out of it for batch processing. and still have good interactive use.

These days it's probably a fun toy to get to know the OS, and your own applications / processes resource usage, nothing wrong with that.

I downloaded it Process Lasso yesterday and tried to let the auto stuff help out this ancient Windows Vista machine, and it did fine.

I wouldn't worry about installing it being a security problem, it's been around a long time, but it would take some investment in time to get to know it well enough to optimize it - a lot of people do.

It's advertised such that you can just install with default's and it will do the rest on it's own. So far that's true on my 2nd install. My first install I went through and flipped a bunch of switches - I think it's gonna take me some time to read up and figure out what is best to change and what is best to leave alone.

The Game mode can be enabled / disabled, and Bitsum Highest Performance power plan is fun too. I just leave ProBalance enabled and watch the logs for what it is doing.

I need to read up on it to get more from it... it's nice that it can run without user intervention. I am getting better interactive performance.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    Spartan likes this.
  8. Rhodan

Rhodan NBR Expert of Nothing

Reputations:
    Sure looks like mackeeper to me...

saturnotaku and Spartan like this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    Here's a how to use Process Lasso posting to improve performance in Prepar3d, written recently, with nice detailed settings suggestions:

How to use Process Lasso the right way
    http://www.avsim.com/topic/486658-how-to-use-process-lasso-the-right-way/

FYI - in case you haven't heard of Prepar3d:

http://www.prepar3d.com/

"Training meets reality with Lockheed Martin’s Prepar3D® simulation software. Private pilots, commercial organizations, militaries, and academia rely on Prepar3D for immersive, experiential learning.

Prepar3D (pronounced “prepared”) is a visual simulation platform that allows users to create training scenarios across aviation, maritime, and ground domains. Users can train anywhere in the virtual world, from underwater to sub orbital space.

Prepar3D furthers the development of Microsoft® ESP™ while maintaining compatibility with Microsoft Flight Simulator X, allowing many thousands of add-ons to be used within Prepar3D."

Process Lasso Forums
    https://bitsum.com/forum/index.php?board=6.0

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
    Spartan likes this.
  10. Rhodan

Rhodan NBR Expert of Nothing

Reputations:
    ^ Just read the avsim post, did he really need this software to change the priority of the prepar3d.exe process?

I'm sure there can be value in Process Lasso for some, not convinced this should be on a server though...

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    Spartan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.