Problems with turbo memory - ianvstor.sys

Discussion in 'Lenovo' started by dayphx, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dayphx

dayphx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Until last night, my T61 was pretty stable, even with Turbo Memory activated. I had previously changed the power saving options that caused hangs while using the notebook on battery power. I have the latest TM driver from Lenovo.

Last night my computer suddenly blue screened. I didn't get a chance to read the screen before it attempted to reboot. However, as Vista was loading, it blue screened again. It was complaining about 'ianvstor.sys.' This continued as I tried booting into safe mode and selecting various options with rescue and recovery. I could not get my T61 to boot at all before it crashed again.

Finally, I booted Knoppix from DVD and mounted the Windows partition. I renamed 'ianvstor.sys' in the \windows\system32\drivers directory, and rebooted. This time Vista booted without incident. Vista automatically disabled Readyboost and Readydrive because it could not locate ianvstor.sys. (because I renamed it).

I have left it disabled for now. Hopefully, this will help someone else who may encounter this problem where the system cannot boot.

Has anyone else had this problem? and have you found a fix?

2. michelkenny

michelkenny Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Intel has an even newer Turbo Memory driver than Lenovo offers. Maybe try installing that.

3. bsodder

bsodder Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    No problems yet, but I am beginning to think that Turbo is like a timebomb ticking away inside my TP...

4. dayphx

dayphx Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am beginning to think it's not worth the risk to use Turbo Memory until it matures more. I was worried I would not be able to recover without reloading Vista. I haven't tried Intel's driver since my system has been stable for a few months.

I think there's a reason Lenovo doesn't have the latest and greatest drivers. I allowed Windows update to load new drivers for my nvida card. Occationally, the video driver would cause a blue screen. I have since reloaded the version from Lenovo, and haven't had any problems with it.

5. GridGI

GridGI Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Get the latest drivers from Intel, initially I've had these problems as well but now it's fixed. I have not had a blue screen in nearly 6 months.

6. eyecon82

eyecon82 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    disable the hybrid disc power saving option in power management

7. Wardie

Wardie Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi dayphx, I've just experienced exactly the same thing: blue screens etc. and it won't boot even in safe mode.

Anyone got any advice on what I can do - is there a fix? The last thing I want to do is format!

Help :eek:

8. arlab

arlab Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Does the hybrid disc power saving cause this error?

9. Wardie

Wardie Newbie

Reputations:
    I haven't the faintest idea, I just launched an application and got the blue screen, it went downhill from there...

It's definitely referring to a problem with iaNvstor.sys

10. Wardie

Wardie Newbie

Reputations:
    I've downloaded Knoppix and have booted from CD, located the iaNvstor.sys file in Windows\System32\Drivers directory but when I try to rename it I get an Error saying it cannot be deleted. Could anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong please?

Thanks