1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Problems with BIOS Beeps During POST

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Mr. Fox, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Overclocked | Overvolted Moderator

2. MrValle

MrValle Notebook Consultant

I get 4 beeps when running on battery only. But with AC it boots just fine. Probably is a bad battery, but i cannot find anything about 4 beeps.

3. bigtonyman

bigtonyman Desktop Powa!!!

I have a similar issue with my system. Haven't been able to find the issue yet, but Dell already sent me a CMOS battery and it didn't fix it for me. I'm gonna need a new mobo replacement one of these days it appears. :(

4. MrValle

Aight, thank you. I guess i have no choice but to send it in *sigh*. Probably takes a month before i get it back.

5. littleone562

littleone562 Notebook Deity

you do, you are entitled to at home service via your warranty. Don't send it in for that.

6. bigtonyman

bigtonyman Desktop Powa!!!

You could try the getting a CMOS and seeing if it fixes your issue. I personally am gonna try to get a replacement system because this will be my third screen and media bar as well as my second mobo replacement. Not sure if it will happen but doesn't hurt to try considering I can't afford to send mine in right now. :(

7. MrValle

Yeah, i called dell and asked them to fix my palmrest problem and he said that i have to send it in to a third party repair company that has very bad reputation over here in sweden. Some people get damaged computers in return and many have to wait months for it to get repaired. I asked if a tech could come home to me and fix it but he got angry and said that they dont do that anymore, only if its something small and easy like replacing hdd/ram and stuff like that.

I told him that i work with this computer and cannot afford to be without it that long, a week i could live with but i doubt it they would fix it that fast. And now with the 4 beep problem i suspect they definately will tell me to send in the system.

Do any of you know if i absolutely am entitled to get this fixed by a tech at home?

8. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

You should be covered at home - assuming that Dell warranty is the same worldwide - I'm in the UK and even standard warranty is NBD.

If you have a system with either an extended warranty or balance of the standard 12mth warranty, you should have NBD support - obviously, sending it to the depot IS NOT Next Business Day!....you should be entitled to a tech at home to attempt a fix. FYI, This is from my order confirmation (I took 4yrs cover) and you can see that even standard suggests NBD service. You may want to check what yours says:

754-76764 4 Year Hardware Support - Next Business Day 1 S
    754-76760 Standard Service - 1 year of Next Business Day coverage included with your PC

9. MrValle

Thanks for the tip stevie, i checked my service tag on dell support page and it says that i have 84 days left on my NBD support.

How come the rep guy was so strict on me sending in my laptop to a third party repair company. I buy these computers mainly for the NBD service and now i feel let down big time :/ .

Should i call them back and demand an NBD repair on my computer?

10. steviejones133

steviejones133 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Yes. I would be questioning him about why you are not being offered the kind of service that your warranty dictates you have. I imagine it is cheaper for Dell to have you part with your system and send it in for repair as opposed to pay an independant firm to send out a technician to your home....maybe that's why he was insistent upon having you return your system.

I would reiterate the fact that you have NBD cover and as such, you want NBD service...sending it in for a fix does not give you NBD service.

11. TheMatrixHacker

TheMatrixHacker Notebook Evangelist

I agree, Ive had my Keyboard replaced twice, media buttons once and Motherboard once. Each time dell sent out the parts two a 3rd party company, who then contacted me and came out to my place of business and replaced the parts on the spot.

However it may be an easy solution for them to replace your entire system.

12. Mr. Fox

MrValle, I would recommend attempting to escalate your service issue to a manager in a higher level of tech support at Alienware. You're not dealing with North American Support, so I realize the chances of actually getting anywhere are not very promising. Those of us in the US and Canada are blessed with an excellent Alienware Support Team in the US and Costa Rica.

I always choose "Parts Only Service" because I don't like other people working on my computers. There was one instance where I was basically forced to send my current M18x to the depot (here in the US) because there were too many potential causes for the problem and they refused to send all the parts that "might be causing the problem" I was having. It was a failure to post with beep patterns that alternated between 4 beeps and 8 beeps. They ended up replacing the motherboard and LCD cable, but they said the problem might have been bad GPUs.

It came back to me with issues that I fixed myself. The SATA cable was not attached to the motherboard, several screws were missing, the screws for the CPU heat sink were not tightened and the LCD panel was not assembled properly. The only things I could not fix was a small scratch (through the anodized finish down to the metal) on the right edge of the lid (LCD cover) and a small sticker label with my Service Tag # that they stuck right on top of my Windows COA decal. Carefully attempting to remove the sticker caused minor damage the COA decal. Going forward, I will do everything within my power to avoid sending a laptop to the depot. The good thing was the turn-around time was super fast. Including transit time from the Pacific Northwest to Texas and back it took only 5 calendar days.

My previous M18x with 6990M CrossFire refused to post with 8 beeps. It was the AMD cards causing it. After removing them it posted fine. Putting them back in it would do 8 beeps and refuse to post. I ran without discrete graphics for a month waiting for replacement parts on backorder to become available.

13. MrValle

Allright, i will be calling dell support in the coming days and be hardheaded with getting a tech to come to me and fix it. Thanks for all the tips guys.

14. dcmr1888

dcmr1888 Notebook Enthusiast

Hey guys,

I have recently come across a problem on boot up. I get 8 beeps and a black screen, keyboard lights up. When I first had this problem I was able to get it back to working condition after a single restart, or turning it on without the charger.

This week on the other hand the problem intensified. I'm no longer able to get rid off this problem after a restart, or while on battery power only. Now it takes an average of about 30 restarts to get the system to boot up successfully.

I have tried disconnecting the charger and restarting it on battery power only, removed and replaced memory dimm's, checked for loose or unplugged connectors. So far nothing has helped, the 8 beeps come on and disappear randomly.

The weird part is that when I finally get my m18 to boot up properly everything works just fine. I Have played bf3 for many hours with no problems at all, fps nearly never drop below 50 (ultra). By this I'm judging that both of my gpu's (6990m) are working correctly, and are not causing the problem.

The problem seems to occur most often in the morning's, right on first boot up. I'm running on A05 bios, with AMD 12.1 drivers. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

15. Mr. Fox

You'll need to call 1-800ALIENWARE and receive hardware support. When I had this problem the first time it was defective 6990M modules. Pulling them out the system worked fine. Putting them back in, the 8 beeps at POST returned immediately.

If you can get it to POST again, see if you can switch to integrated graphics. I ran my M18x on integrated graphics for close to 6 weeks waiting for replacement 6990M cards to become available.

There are other issues that can cause the 8 beeps, including the motherboard and LCD cable. Because there are multiple causes, they may require you to send your machine to the depot so they have access to all the parts they might need.

16. dcmr1888

dcmr1888 Notebook Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply Mr. Fox, I was able to post my system and switch to integrated graphics. Funny thing is that the systems post just fine now (with integrated graphics and with 6990), restarted it many times and so far no beeps.

Could there be a problem with bios? From what I read A05 was suppose to fix the same problem on the 580m. Also had the charger fail on me a few times, once when gaming, and on another occasion it was not detected by the system on boot up.

I'm currently living in Europe that's why I haven't called Dell support yet. I heard it's not as good as Alienware support in the states.

17. katalin_2003

katalin_2003 NBR Spectre Super Moderator

It depends with who you have the chance to deal with..

18. Mr. Fox

Actually, I believe it was A04 that was supposed to fix that on the GTX 580M. A05 was released later to help mitigate fan malfunction, overheating and thermal shutdown on M18x systems with AMD 6990M CrossFire.

Here is the Alienware Laptop Beep Code table published by Dell/Alienware Engineering: Alienware Laptops: Beep Codes Table | Dell

19. Mr. Fox

I closed the new thread you created. Here's the right place for your issue to be researched and discussed.

It appears you may have one or more defective sticks of RAM. Does your machine have the factory memory, or aftermarket? If you have a bad DIMM slot, it will take a motherboard. It's probably just a bad stick, and the testing you did suggests it may be one of the two you removed. Did you test the RAM removed from "C/D slots" in the "A/B slots" already? Try booting and testing one module at a time and see if one or both of those you removed causes a problem.

20. DumbDumb

DumbDumb Notebook Deity

Hi I saw the post Fox that you referred the guy here for the 4 beeps and the black screen.. well i know exactly what that is.. I had the same problem..

its the sli or cross fire cable not seated properly and or the card.. mine was the xfire cable not in correctly.. hope this helps him..
    I also saw that he thinks its the ram.. this was not the case.. and it happened when i upgraded my ram also..some how i moved the xfire cable enough to cause the problem.