Problems following M18xR2 GPU upgrade from GTX675 to GTX980m

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by I_AM_MUSTANG, Sep 24, 2019.

1. I_AM_MUSTANG

I_AM_MUSTANG Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So basically as it stands the only thing that works is downloading the GeForce Experience software which automatically installs driver version 388.13. It then shows as the driver being up to date so I’m not sure what to do.

This is so confusing. It’s crazy that I was getting more stable performance out of my old 675m than this 980m. I mean, the graphics look 10x better but games are almost unplayable because of the screen tearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Maxware79

Maxware79 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah DDU wouldn't fix a problem like this. It's just good to do when installing a new driver.

I have heard that you don't need a modded diver with the 900 series anymore but it kind of sounds like yours does.I would give it a try.

You can actually look through the inf file on the driver you are trying to install and see if your GPU ID is listed. Then you'll know for sure.

3. I_AM_MUSTANG

Reputations:
    Hi,

I found this video online, do you think this would be a good thing to try?

4. Maxware79

Reputations:
    I’ll have to check it out when I get home from work.

5. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Download @j95 modded drivers, its just a matter of disabling driver signature check and install.

Link:
    https://premamod.wordpress.com/2017/08/15/j95-nvidia-inf/

I'm not sure if you need the PEG or the MSHybrid, but if you dont have Optimus you want the latest PEG version that has AW in the driver name, just follow the instructions.

I_AM_MUSTANG and M18x-oldie like this.
  6. Maxware79

Reputations:
    Yeah that's basically it. If your ID is not listed in this file then you'll need to mod the file to include it.

7. I_AM_MUSTANG

Reputations:
    FINALLY!! A STABLE PC! Thanks so much to everyone for the advice, in the end the premamod worked a treat! This is the first time I’ve ever played with such smooth gameplay and graphics. I’m so happy, Thanks all. Happy gaming

MagicMike, M18x-oldie and Maxware79 like this.
  8. Maxware79

Reputations:
    Awesome! I thought it would be the modded driver. If you ever need to mod your own driver it isn't too hard. I used to just use the Eurocom driver for my M18x R2 but they don't update them anymore so I did my own with the last nvidia driver that supports the 780M.

The video you posted shows the process pretty well.

9. I_AM_MUSTANG

Reputations:
    Thank you, it so much better now. I’m just using 3DMark to test it out. Very strange though, still getting pretty low frames around (20fps) when benchmarking on Firestrike and Timespy but Sky Diver was hitting around (130fps) but I played both Fortnite and Apex Legends on mid-high settings and it was great, no tearing, no stutter, no lag, smooth as.

Do you have any tips on how to achieve better frame rates? Also, what are the best settings for nvidia control panel?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Maxware79

Reputations:
    I haven't had any experience with the 980M but you could be seeing some of the thermal throttling issues that many people have had. There is a restarting trick that's helped a few people but I have no idea how to do it sorry.

I get 8850 on Firestrike with my SLI 780M's with a graphics score of 11,300. It's a pity games these days aren't suited to SLI so the real-world performance wouldn't match the benchmark.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2019