Problem after Changing HDD

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Tanjung, Jun 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tanjung

Tanjung Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all...

I just changed HDD of my Panasonic CF-T2B Japanese Version from 40GB (Toshiba) to 120GB (Samsung). It is a ATA type. Hardware installation is fine and no problem, and I install Win XP Pro SP2. OS installation was (seem) ok. However, the windows can not run for long time. In 5 - 15 minutes the computer was black out, and I have to release the battery to make it able to restarted. This also happen when I change the HDD with IBM 40GB.:confused:

Frustrated, I replace the old HDD (toshiba with one or two sectors are indicated as bad) and run well. My question are:

1. What is going on with HDD? or my Panasonic?
    2. What can I do to make the Samsung HDD run on my Panasonic?

IBM : 40 GB, ampere : 1A
    Samsung : 120GB, 0.85A
    Toshiba : 40 GB, ????? (on computer)

Thank you

Tanjung

2. ZeroFlight

ZeroFlight Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm willing to be you didn't use the correct hard drive. The T2 uses a dual volt drive. The vast majority of laptop drives aren't dual voltage. It uses both 3.3V and 5V and if you try to stick a single volt drive in there, you run into the problems you just described. The sad answer is there's nothing you can do about it beyond getting another dual voltage drive. If your samsung is only 5v, you can't use it as an internal.

You can see on the sticker on the drive itself where it says 3.3v and 5v.

3. Modly

Modly Warranty Voider

Reputations:
    +rep for ZeroFlight. I would be willing to bet the Canadian $5 in my wallet on that being the problem.

4. Tanjung

Tanjung Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you ZeroFlight and Modly. I just found that the Samsung and IBM has +5V only, but I did not check the Toshiba which run well on Panasonic because I am using it now. Thank you very much for very useful information. So, I am going to look for the dual volt HDD.

5. tough-2-go

tough-2-go Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You can modify your 5V drive to work in your laptop by doing a minor hack on the drive. Simply clip pin 41 which is being fed 3.3V by the laptop and make a connection between pin 41 and pin 42. Pin 42 is +5V motor and the plan is to use this voltage to drive both motor and logic board. You just have to make sure that you clip pin 41 so there is no way for it to connect to the motherboard. Dual voltage drives are very expensive and difficult to find so this is an excellent workaround and will not affect the laptop and the drive can still be used in other computers. :)

You may also need to clip pin 44 if your IDE cable has a pin block at that location.

6. ZeroFlight

Reputations:
    Nice! I'm assuming that doesn't shorten the lifespan or overload the drive?

7. tough-2-go

Reputations:
    No it will not adversely affect the drive because you are now giving it the voltage it needs to operate. The computers +5V supply is plenty beefy enough to drive both the motor and the logic. You may see a slight reduction in battery life but should be insignificant.

8. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Tanjung... Welcome to the forum!

Zero & Tough.... Way to go... Great advice!

I just love the talented and knowledgeable people here.... Always willing to help out.

9. ZeroFlight

Reputations:
    Does that mean the 3.3v is for a power-saving mode?

10. tough-2-go

Reputations:
    I would think that running the logic at 3.3V was intended for power saving but installing a 5V drive after doing the mod will probably not have much affect ,simply because now the 3.3V is not being used on the drive so the main 5V supply will just need to put out a little extra current to power both the motor and the logic so it probably all balances out in the end. keep in mind that the motor runs at 5V regardless if it is a dual voltage or single voltage. The dual voltage is only for the logic board.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.