Pro/EliteBooks with Carrizo

Discussion in 'HP Business Class Notebooks' started by zaanton, Aug 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidricardo86

davidricardo86 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Some of the statements being said in that video are simply hilarious. It's nice to see these AMD EliteBooks being used by major players but the marketing made me chuckle a bit.

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

2. Maru

Maru Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    An Elitebook 745 with 2560×1440 IPS display and 256GB SSD was reviewed and
    is currently listed at #9 in the NotebookCheck Top 10 Premium Office/Business Notebook list.

(A less expensive version with the 1920×1080 TN display and 256GB SSD was also reviewed and
    found to have better battery life, in exchange for a less colorful screen with 200Hz PWM flicker below 90% brightness.)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    davidricardo86 likes this.
  3. Maru

Maru Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    (BTW, regarding that Elitedesk 705 G2 mini, it looks like some variants of the predecessor Elitedesk 705 G1 mini sold in large numbers last summer. That might be an indication that some largish enterprises evaluated the Kaveri version and liked it.)

4. davidricardo86

davidricardo86 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That is fantastic! I'm glad to see this HP Carrizo laptop getting some recognition it deserves. Those optional IPS and FHD displays are most needed on starving AMD laptops. In real world use, I'm sure many users wouldn't be able to distinguish an Intel EliteBook from an AMD EliteBook. I think AMD should start putting some restrictions on OEMs in order to produce more attractive AMD based units. Things like mandatory dual-channel RAM, user accessible cTDP, IPS displays, backlit keyboards, Radeon gamer "edition" models, costs of around $600-800, user customization like Motorola Moto Maker but for laptops, higher quality webcams (4k quality on smartphones is standard now), and a Google Android like software program where AMD hardware gets top priority. AMD needs to play to their strengths and with Zen around the corner there needs to be a departure from the old model of just settling for cheap, bottom of the barrel laptops these OEMs have decided to produce for the last decade. AMD needs to step in a dictate how their products are perceived and not let OEMs tarnish the quality of their product by producing craptops. HP is doing it to a certain extent but more needs to be done.

These little PCs are awesome. I still would like to try one but the lowest price I've been able to find is around $600. Still not bad if really 35W Carrizo with 3 displays from a small form factor, dual storage, and easily serviceable. I keep checking stock and they do move and sell but price hasn't dropped much, yet.

5. Maru

Maru Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Forbes has review of the Elitebook 725 G3 by an analyst (with no equity in HP or AMD) who generally liked using it, praised its ethernet port, and just wished for more digital video outputs (for more external screens, sacrificing analog VGA) and a larger touchpad.

6. mr_raider

mr_raider Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone have any feedback on these 1 year and a half later? I've seen the 725 g3 a12-8800b sell highly discounted for 500$ (USD). I'm looking to add in an m.2 ssd and dual boot linux if possible.

I already have an elitebook 820 g1 (i5-4200u) and it's one of the best laptops I've ever had. I love the legacy connectors like VGA and ethernet. They are so easy to open up, upgrade and clean out the dust.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.