Presenting the All-New Intel 10th Gen MSI "GS66"!

Discussion in 'MSI' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Apr 2, 2020.

1. nyichiban

nyichiban Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  2. nyichiban

Reputations:
    Hey thanks for the invite and joined the discord. Also if I need to replace the R0005 I can just get like more powerful resistors right? What would you recommend?

3. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I can't exaclty recommend any shunt resistors as the deciding factor would be the size. Otherwise all R005 shunts will behave identically

4. nyichiban

Reputations:
    Looks like it's working fine as is so I'm going to leave it until it finally breaks. If it does I guess I will get a R005 resistor from mouser and get a repair shop that specializes in soldering to do this for me. I think I've messed up too many times. hahaha

5. Roland_Price

Roland_Price Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi, everyone

I've recently got myself a GS66-10SE with i7-10875 and 2060. My main usage scenario is connecting it to Razer Core X Chroma with 2080ti inside and 100w over PD seems to be more than enough to feed the 10875. But when I connect the laptop to Core I have poor CPU performance (just like on battery, with 2,5 GHz on all cores under load) and XTU showing Current/EDP Limit Throttling, even when Windows says "Plugged in".

Is there a way to raise this limit or Power Delivery over Thunderbolt is strictly for charging the unit in this case?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  6. nyichiban

Reputations:
    PD over Thunderbolt is strictly for charging only to my knowledge and Thunderbolt only supports up to 100W according to here: https://thunderbolttechnology.net/blog/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-does-it-all

Also if you take a look at the power usage of CPU and GPU (CPU 45W and GPU 80W on full) I don't think 100W would let it run fully.

7. klGE66

klGE66 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Wow I always thought TB3 could handle more power...Im cool not having the port now.

Have you done any benched with the egpu 2080 ti??I'm curious now to see what that things putting up with only 100w power..Haha probably still 14k timespy

8. klGE66

klGE66 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    And does anyone know how I can get my bclk to the full 100mhz?This 99.7 is killing me..I can only adjust spread spectrum I don't see any otion to turn it off completely..Right now the spread says 47.

Im trying to get that #1 timespy for the 10750h haha im like 70 points away last I checked.

9. nyichiban

Reputations:
    The whole thing with tb3 was for fast data transfers. I think the power delivery was second. I mean it's crazy fast external transfer speeds on a tb3 so I don't mind having it.

10. snixel

snixel Newbie

Reputations:
    @werdmonkey4321 where did you find this calculation for the shunt resistors?
    12*0.0333333333/(1/(1/0.005+1/(1.00*0.03)))
    I'm wondering what resistor rating I can use when using a 90W vbios. The above formula goes out of 80W