Presenting the All-New Intel 10th Gen MSI "GS66"!

Discussion in 'MSI' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Apr 2, 2020.

1. eurodj101

eurodj101 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Coolermaste,Gelid but best i find is ICD but have to learn to deal with it

captaincranium likes this.
  2. captaincranium

captaincranium Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Cant wait for both the reviews...Best Buy just canceled my order for the GE66 with the 2070 Super because its been two weeks since my order and they still don't have what they are selling online in stock they said. So they just canceled my order outright that i have had with them since 3rd week of April. Makes NO sense. Anywho, looking forward to your reviews. And don't order the GE66 from Best Buy right now, even though they are selling it online they don't have it and will cancel it automatically after two weeks if they still don't have it.

3. captaincranium

Reputations:
    I have always used Gelid Extreme and its been rock solid for me in my laptops...

4. aewhalle

aewhalle Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Will someone please confirm both the 240hz and 300hz panels for this machine? I'm looking to buy the panel with the highest brightness (nits) - but having a hard time finding these.

5. yeray

yeray Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The 240Hz panel is the Sharp LQ156M1JW03 (device ID SHP14C5) used in last year's GS65, GE65, Razer Blade 15 etc.
    http://www.panelook.com/LQ156M1JW03_Sharp_15.6_LCM_overview_37935.html

The 300Hz panel is the AUO B156HAN12.0 (device ID AUO328E)
    http://www.panelook.com/B156HAN12.0_AUO_15.6_LCM_overview_44169.html

Both are rated by their manufacturers for 300 cd/m² and 1000:1 contrast, so in reality differences should not be huge between them.

An area in which AUO328E is better is in it doesn't use PWM at any brightness level. SHP14C5 uses PWM at 19% brightness and below although at a very high frequency (24KHz) so it should not be noticiable even for sensitive eyes, although no PWM at all is always better.

Notebookcheck measured the AUO328E as 315 cd/m² and 1500:1 which seems too good to be true considering the specs, Jarrod's Tech measured 300 cd/m² and 1000:1 as advertised. Each one of them used different measuring sensors (xRite vs Spyder).

From last year's laptops AUOs tended to be a bit brighter, but until someone measures the GS66 240Hz we won't know for sure in this specific implementation. Different LCD controllers can alter final brightness/contrast outputs.

6. captaincranium

Reputations:
    If you got the 240Hz panel shouldn't you also be able to swap it out for the 300Hz later if it ends up being brighter and better? Just wondering because i am looking at one in my price range but it has the 240Hz panel...later i could swap it if I could find someone that sells the 300Hz correct?

7. yeray

yeray Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes it shouldn't be an issue swapping the panels as they both use the same connections.

captaincranium likes this.
  8. eurodj101

eurodj101 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    U guys Lm u r gs66?

9. rahz

rahz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think Gentech PC tried it out a couple pages back. Dropped the temps quite a bit

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  10. Destinatus

Destinatus Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Laptop is perfect except for the speakers.
    All of my tablets, phones and other laptops have better speakers.