Presenting the All-New Intel 10th Gen MSI "GE66"!

Discussion in 'MSI' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Keith

Keith Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Mine is running well. I am tempted to do a repaste on it to see if I can reduce the core temp differential issue I'm experiencing, but I'm leery to do so because I've heard there is goop underneath where there traditionally would be thermal pads. Lol.

I set a custom voltage curve in Afterburner that seems to be working well. I'm actually very happy with the machine. The only thing I did not do is install thermal pads underneath the SSD's. I added a second one too. They don't seem to make contact with the motherboard, and I already have heatsinks mounted to the top of them.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
  2. werdmonkey4321

werdmonkey4321 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The goop is just really viscous thermal paste. Nothing to be hesitant about. You can replace it with K5 pro.

https://www.amazon.com/viscous-ther...ds=K5+pro+thermal+paste&qid=1599533712&sr=8-5

Keith likes this.
  3. klGE66

klGE66 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Like a tank.I got my undervolt and custom voltage curve dialed in now I'm pretty sure I found the best possible performance with the lowest temps im gonna get.

One thing I found funny you guys might want to try out..I switched over from a cooling pad to just a regular aluminum laptop stand from amazon and since then im getting temps about 10 degrees lower then with the pad haha I still cant believe it.Never thought I'd see a gaming laptop running this cool.

4. nyichiban

nyichiban Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone with a GE66 2080 Super willing to share the vbios?

5. klGE66

Reputations:
    I tried uploading it from gpuz but it said its not supported.Im probably doing something wrong.If I figure it out i'll link it to you.

6. nyichiban

nyichiban Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Crap gpuz didn't support it? It works for the Razer. You have the latest gpuz? Should be just clicking that arrow box and saving the file. Weird you are getting that error.

7. werdmonkey4321

werdmonkey4321 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If I remember correctly I think I had the same issue before. I think if you have any overclocks on the GPU it won't let you upload. You have to reset the GPU to stock clock speeds first and then it should let you upload.

8. klGE66

Reputations:
    Yea It's definitely the latest and I just tried removing the OC and it's still giving the same errors...I'm surprised there isn't any on google.A lot of people have this 90w model.I wish I could put a 150w onto this thing..Im getting closer and closer to 10k time spy but I cant see it without a shunt mod.It took awhile but I've probably gone through and undervolted/maxed out every point on that afterburner curve to there highest stable clocks haha.

9. Methike

Methike Newbie

Reputations:
    Anyone got their displays popped out when pulling the lid up? Mine did and its using some kind of adhesive. It doesn't have any screws holding the display in place. If it happens again I will take some pictures and upload it here.