Presenting the All-New Intel 10th Gen MSI "GE66"!

Discussion in 'MSI' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Apr 2, 2020.

1. werdmonkey4321

werdmonkey4321 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Are you in the UK or US? In the UK I think it would void your warranty, but in the US you can repaste with nonconductive thermal paste and your device will remain under coverage. MSI confirmed this a while ago.

The warranty is also only voided if you repaste with something conductive like liquid metal and they have evidence that your modification caused any damage. Most user upgrades/modifications are actually protected under the Magnuson-Moss warranty act. Manufacturers can't just flippantly renege on repairing your devices unless they can definitively prove that you were the cause of the damages.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  2. Kildar

Kildar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm in the US. I did get a response back from MSI about that, and you are correct. Repasting does not void the warranty unless you damage something while doing it.

3. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No brand can void your warranty due to a repaste, or an SSD/HDD upgrade or replacement, or RAM upgrade/replacement, or even a display swap, as long as you dont bent it all, or scratch the motherboard and rip half the components, they will honour warranty.

Warranty void stickers are non binding be it the US or the EU.

4. Kildar

Kildar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I spoke to a person at MSI today. They said these temps are normal for an Intel 10th gen CPU, and that I shouldn't worry about it. It seems awfully hot to me, but they told me other laptops with this CPU run at the same temps.

5. werdmonkey4321

Reputations:
    When you said you experienced 20C spread in max core temps, was that in a situation where all cores were being utilized 100%(e.g. Prime95 AVX/AVX2 off) or does it occur when you do single threaded applications. If its the latter that's normal. If however you notice a 20C spread when 100% of your CPU is utilized then that would be an out of spec condition.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  6. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    I was watching MobileTechReview's review of this, and Lisa mentioned the option to switch between Optimus and dGPU only mode. The GE66 has that? Can one of you owners confirm?

I hadn't seen anyone mention it.

7. eurodj101

eurodj101 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    even unade rocmbined stress test AIDA/Heaven the most i see is like 7-8 degrees on core 5 i thin which pisses me off....cause other than that all cores are low to mid 80s except that one but this is like te most extreme use case so i figured id let it be ias it doesnt affect normal use

8. werdmonkey4321

Reputations:
    Yeah, an 8C difference is normal and nothing to be concerned about. It's mostly due to the tripod mount heatsink used.

If you want to reduce the core differentials you will have to resort to lapping the heatsink and or using liquid metal. On my GS66 I was able to reduce the 10C core differential to only 5C by applying liquid metal. My issue was always cores 0,2,4 running 7-10C hotter than cores 1,3,5.

seanwee likes this.
  9. eurodj101

eurodj101 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have LM...i bought it that way... honestly cooling is not an issue it just that one core goes to 90 all others low 80s...again this is under full load both cpu/gpu....i thought bout tightening the heatsink again just to check but im not gonna mess with it it really does cool well and performs pretty good so ima leave it alone for now...i saw the same dman thing with my gs65 when i put ICD on it core 0 would hit 90 once settled under same test all other cores low 80s its always one damn core that messes my party up but under regular use gaming even hig cpu usage i never it 90 on either machine....so im pretty ok with both

10. werdmonkey4321

Reputations:
    It's also possible that the liquid metal has happened to have plated the copper around core 5. Hence leaving a sort of air gap causing poor heat transfer.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020