Presenting the All-New Intel 10th Gen MSI "GE66"!

Discussion in 'MSI' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Valiran

Valiran Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello!

Some one know what thickness of thermals pads to use instead of the thermal grease en VRM & vram & others?
    I'm planning to buy a Ge66 and to repaste it, and I would like to get rid of k5-pro like compound :(

captaincranium likes this.
  2. captaincranium

captaincranium Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah that was what I was referring to as well...would like to know the same.

3. RMLJD

RMLJD Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Howdy all. With units shipping now did we confirm the 2070 super is maxp?

4. awsan

awsan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    How is the cooling on these? with a 2070?

Performance wise compared to a GE75 how good is this? and it has a mux switch is that correct?

5. Kildar

Kildar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, it is a Max-p.

6. Kildar

Reputations:
    The GPU stays pretty cool. The CPU, not so much. I haven't seen temps on the GPU break 70c with in game settings set to max. It generally stays in the upper 60's.

The temps on the CPU vary wildly. There's about a 20c difference in temps among the various CPU cores. With it set to max performance, and fans on auto, Core 2 is always the hottest at 95c. The others vary below that from upper 70's to upper 80's.

The MUX switch is only in the software I believe, but I haven't looked for it as I run everything on the 2070 Super.

I've never used a GE75, so I can't compare the two. My GE66 has the i7-10750, 32 gb RAM, and the 2070 super. I replaced a GT72 with a 980m.

7. Wisconsingamer

Wisconsingamer Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    What could be causing one core to run so hot. Is this an Intel issue or a bios driver issue. I’ve seen this mentioned a few times and a repaste isn’t helping so I’m curious what’s happening here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. G46VW

G46VW Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    When I first seen the cooling solution used on this laptop the GPU part looks fine, Its the CPU part that scared me to death. Only two of the heat pipes make it over the CPU and one shoots all the way across to the other side of the laptop. The one single dedicated CPU heatpipe just doesnt seem to cut it for me, it does not cover that much of the CPU, I dunno it seems lackluster on the CPU side to me, That was my first thought when seeing it. If you compare it to something like the Clevo, you can see what I mean. MSI has 1 and 1/2 heat pipes, compared to the botoom picture, CLEVO X170, which has 7. The Clevo on the bottom, the CPU is in the center of the picture that has the #1 on it if you enlarge the picture.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  9. werdmonkey4321

werdmonkey4321 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The 20C difference is very concerning. It sounds like either a bad paste job or insufficient pressure being applied on the heatsink where core 2 lies. Either way, I would take it apart and do a repaste and readjust the heatsink pressure. The differences in core temps typically shouldn't be more than 10C even in laptops with the tripod mounts.

10. Kildar

Reputations:
    Ok, let me clarify a little. I don't see a 20c difference between cores all the time. Usually, they are within 5-10c of each other. There are occasions where there is a 20c temp difference. The only time I had the bottom off was to add in a second SSD (and what a PITA it was getting it off!), all the screws were down tight. I have tried repasting yet>

I created a support ticket with MSI about the temps over a week ago. So far, I have gotten no response. I've been holding off on the repaste as I think that may void the warranty. I'm waiting on a response from them before I take that step.