Presenting the All-New Intel 10th Gen MSI "GE66"!

Discussion in 'MSI' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Cerreta28

Cerreta28 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think you saved me 600 bucks retuning the max 17

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm strongly dissuading anyone running a 10 series or 16/20 series laptop from upgrading now and instead wait for RDNA 2 or 30 series laptops to release.

Wisconsingamer and JRey like this.
  3. Cerreta28

Cerreta28 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I would wait if I could I sold my alienware already so now I’m out a computer

4. Wisconsingamer

Wisconsingamer Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    These laptops will not release for almost a year though if they follow there normal release schedule not to mention any delays from covid type stuff

5. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Oh they will release it around q1 next year. Availability of the laptops is you need to worry about.

6. Wisconsingamer

Reputations:
    Do we really expect a more than 25% gain I mean statistically there’s not that big of a jump in between generations. I know this is a new architecture but the gpu card that’s leaked is huge and 350 watts when they scale down for laptops it may not be that huge of gain.

7. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thing is, ampere is a node shrink AND an architecture change so we should expect substantial perf/watt gains this round.

Kepler to Maxwell was an major architecture change. Maxwell to pascal was a full node shrink and went from planar to finfet which is why its was substantially more efficient.

Ampere had a minor architectural change and the half node shrink from 16nm to 12nm only served to make space for RT and tensor cores instead of increasing shader count. That's why perf/watt stayed the same.

8. eurodj101

eurodj101 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    i agree, im thinking the 3060 will be bout 2070 90w performance, 3070 will be 2080 performance and on and on...30% is doable if the conditions are right...but i see more 25% across the board as what they should eb aiing for....even with the lower wattage parts

9. Wisconsingamer

Reputations:
    I guess I’m trying to wait to see what this gpu can really do before I decide either way because whatever gains we see across the desktop segment we should be able to see where the laptop cards will be based on the differences there have normally been between previous generations

10. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm expecting a 40% perf/watt improvement in traditional rasterisation performance and a 2x jump in RT performance so switching on RT will only result in a small performance hit.

It's possible that they may bump the tdps of mobile parts up if amd is really competitive.

Sadly I won't be upgrading next gen though. I intend to wait till 2022 when DDR5 hits the consumer market.