Presenting the All-New Intel 10th Gen MSI "GE66"!

Discussion in 'MSI' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Wisconsingamer

Wisconsingamer Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Do any of you guys notice any screen tearing or any other issues when playing games? I have really been eyeing this one but also the new Lenovo mostly because of the screen and Lenovo has pretty well built machines. I mostly play mmorpg rpg and like borderlands etc. All my pc and previous laptops have had gsync so i have been worried i would notice if I didn’t have it.

2. Kildar

Kildar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In the games I've played on there so far, LoTRO, SWTOR, Mechwarrior 5, I haven't seen any of that. It runs everything very smoothly, with all the settings maxed. Depending on the game and game location, it generally exceeds 200 fps most of the time. sometimes higher, sometimes lower depending on crowd sizes.

3. captaincranium

captaincranium Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Kildar do me a favor if you can...can you run HWinfo in the background when you are playing a game and then after awhile, see what the max temps look like and if you thermal throttle at any core? I was on SWTOR yesterday myself for about an hour. Temps were pretty good stock but I had one core, i think it was 2, go around 92-94 and HWInfo reported it thermal throttled on that core after i checked HWinfo when done playing. Like my last MSI GE66 i bought and returned because of that annoying defective fan, when using the GE66 for just surfing the internet or doing other light task all the cores are within 4 degress of each other.

But when I game, and the temps go up, my cores have temp differences around 10 degrees or so of each other. Like i said before, probably something a good repaste would take care of but wanted to see if you experience the same thing when the unit is getting pushed by games and the temps go up. Thanks!

Otherwise loving this small powerhouse...

One other thing, can anyone suggest a good custom fan curve for this series of laptops or similiar? Or just leave it at "Auto"?

4. Kildar

Reputations:
    I played SWTOR for about an hour. According to HWINFO, the CPU max temps ranged from 84-93c. Core 2 was the hottest. It it 93c, it was the highest. Core 5 hit a max of 84c, with one core maxed at 86, two crores maxed at 89c, and one maxed at 90c.

It does show that core 2 did thermal throttle. It also says core 3 thermal throttled, but it's max temp only reached 89c.

Mine is the same as yours. Under light loads, the CPU temps are always pretty close.

The fans were set to auto during this, I haven't tried any different fan settings, so I don't know if it would make a difference.

captaincranium likes this.
  5. captaincranium

captaincranium Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for checking this out for me...sounds like the computers are nearly identical. I am going to do some undervolting here soon too and that should bring that Core 2 bugger down a little bit I hope...

Kildar likes this.
  6. Kildar

Reputations:
    My core 2 is generally 10-20c higher than any other core. The GPU temps are fine, generally below 65c. I've tried different power and fan profiles, and nothing really seems to keep core 2 below 90c.

I've been trying to avoid it, because I don't want to take the bottom off again, but I guess I'm going to try re-pasting when I get back home. I don't know why that one core is so much higher than the rest. I'm tempted to email MSI tech support, but I don't really want to ship them the machine, assuming that's what they'd want to do.

Please post how your undervolting goes, and what settings you used. I may wait and try that first if you have some success with it.

7. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Been said many times by me. convex core + imbalanced weak fitting heatsink.
    You can see the core 0/2 problem even on old posts in the GT73VR thread. Which I'm assuming here is going to be core 0/2/4/6 (or 0/2/4), with 0/2/4 on the top and 1/3/5 on the bottom.

It's hard to fix this on a laptop. Sometimes very light sanding of the heatsink helps, but then you have to also reduce the thickness of the thermal pads on the top side (where the VRM's and chokes are) also. I managed to fix mine but it took a second heatsink and a lot of work and testing.

If you really want to see what's truly going on, buy some Innovation Cooling Contact paper, apply it (clean heatsink, NO paste), mount fully then instantly demount and check the pressure pattern. Or you can request a free sample from "Sensorprod", of fujifilm Ultra Low Prescale (sensorprod is fujifilm's USA distributor).

https://www.amazon.com/Innovation-Cooling-Contact-Analysis-Heatsink/dp/B07CKHRKHQ/

JRey likes this.
  8. eurodj101

eurodj101 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    try phobia, cm maker nano or icd....a thicker paste with decent performance helpsa bit i know i had the same problem on gs65 and ICD made it alot lot better

9. Cerreta28

Cerreta28 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    How is the fan noise on quiet mode ? I’m sending my Eluktronics max 17 with 2080 super maxq back for this system

10. Wisconsingamer

Wisconsingamer Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I wonder if buying this from like hid and getting liquid metal done would help for temps and allow for an overclock on the gpu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk