Presenting the All-New Intel 10th Gen MSI "GE66"!

Discussion in 'MSI' started by -=$tR|k3r=-, Apr 2, 2020.

1. captaincranium

captaincranium Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I figured with a moderate undervolt and repast this should be all i need on this lappy. There are 2 things that are bothering me on this though. My CPU fan is constantly going and makes a little high pitch noise at the lowest fan speed just after it spins up. When I pressed down in the top left corner right where the "Dynaudio" is above the F1 key, it goes away and you just hear the normal low fan "whoosh" that it should be. So i figured a fan screw was loose. So this leads me to my second point that upset me. I have worked on alot of laptops and opened up and repasted alot and added/subtracted ram, hard drives, etc on many. So i know how to open laptops and how to do it carefully.

I unscrewed all the screws and did my normal "kids gloves" approach to opening the back panel. About 8-9 clips broke while trying to open! The are the smallest, most fragile clips I have EVER had to deal with on bottoms lids. I barely pried them and they would break. For example all the clips on the front panel part by the light bar broke except 2 (!!). A few more broke off the sides. They are super tiny and the hinge where the clip bends to snap into the frame is smaller than an 1/8 of an inch . WAY to small and fragile to take on and off on a laptop like this. see this tiny little black spot above my finger? That is the top of the clip and it is super narrow too.

Image.jpeg
    Like i said, I have a MSI GT63 Titan and have opened that puppy up multiple times and have never broken a clip once as well as numerous MSI laptops in the past. First time on this broke at least 10 and i barely appliued any pressure. I will say the front of the laptop was the hardest to "unsnap" because of how the corners apply to the bottom case where the light bar sits. I was able to get out like 4-5 clips that broke but the rest are floating inside the system somewhere that I cannot find and I am not happy about that. Anywho, i tightened down the fan screws and checked everything else and started it back up. Didnt change this small high pitch fan rattle at low temps with the CPU fan. The GPU fan does not do this at all.

Otherwise this is a great laptop. I am picky though and might return it to Best Buy and order another because of this fan pitch rattle noise only on the CPU fan that drives me nuts when just surfing and i can hear it clearly and this stinking fragile clips on the bottom panel. Which kinds stinks because everything else is great about this! but i plan on adding another hard drive and repasting later and i am afraid more clips will break when i do that! here is a shot in Dragon Center with just this browser open. You can see the CPU fan is constantly spinning around 2300rpm just browsing with a temp around 49 degrees and the GPU fan is off with an idle temp around 50-53

fan.jpeg
    Kildar, what does your CPU Fan (Top left looking at the laptop) sound like? Do you notice any small slightly higher pitch rattle from yours? its hard to describe but definitely noticable...the best way to describe is it doesn't sound "smooth" like the fan should. If you press down on where is says Dynaudio just above the F1 keys does the sound "smooth out" to just the air moving?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    G46VW likes this.
  2. captaincranium

Reputations:
    Also, two other things I wanted to verify. This laptop CAN still be unlocked under the BIOS with the MSI key combo and there IS a Software GPU switch under Dragon Center (Home Icon...then pick General Settings) kinda like the old hardware MUX switches where you can choose between hybrid graphics or jsut solely use the Nvidia 2070 all the time.

3. Kildar

Kildar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just as a comparison to mine, I don't have any of the fan noises on mine that you are speaking of. I did take the bottom off mine to add a second SSD. It was a little more challenging to get it apart than what my GT72 is. Fortunately for me, I didn't break any of the clips.

4. G46VW

G46VW Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That would piss me right off about the tabs. hmm....I did notice in a few of the videos how flimsy the whole bottom assembly is. Is any part of this laptop made with metal or is it all palstic? Without the clips that broke off, how does the bottom fit back in?

5. captaincranium

Reputations:
    I would just snap in the remaining ones and the screws themselves would hold the bottom open. I ended up returning the one i had before and Best Buy shipped me a new one in 2 days. NO fan "rattle" in this one, no back light bleed, etc. So already happy about that. I am going to add another 1tb m.2drive so here we are going to go with the clips again. Hopefully have much more luck this time around...

6. IKAS V

IKAS V Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    How loud do the fans get when gaming in DB?
    Great to finally see people get this model.

7. rwp12

rwp12 Newbie

Reputations:
    Just got my laptop in today. Does anyone else notice that the trackpad seems a little "loose"? Basically when I tap on the trackpad, there's a half click happening where the trackpad seems to physically be moving very slightly. It works fine, just wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same.

8. captaincranium

Reputations:
    I get that at the bottom of the mouse pad because that is basically where the normal left and right "buttons" where on older touchpads. but the rest of the pad is rock solid. So i think if you mean the bottom its to simulate having actual separate left and right buttons

9. captaincranium

Reputations:
    Also does anyone know the panel number of the 300hz version for this lappy? if its brighter and more vivid color i might upgrade in the future when more actual reviews of the unit with the 300 hz panel in it

10. Kildar

Kildar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Unfortunately I have no way to measure that. It's certainly noticeable, but it isn't excessively loud.

IKAS V likes this.