***Prema Mod Alienware 18 970M / 980M SLI Performance vBIOS***

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Prema, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Like I said, I will run a bench tonight with GPU-Z monitoring the voltage and clocks on stock vBIOS. I'm running a piss poor asic of 68%-69% on both cards, but I've logged the voltage when running ARK before, and never exceeded 1.000V

I will post results later tonight

2. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    That 1v must have been the svl7 vBIOS, stock vBIOS has fixed ASIC registers...
    The only other way to see a stock vBIOS to run that low, on regular ASIC, is when it massively voltage throttled (throttle lowers clocks and voltage).

For your systems the Clevo base will produce better results. This is only for AW18 and won't fix the FANs on the R2 etc...

Ashtrix likes this.
  3. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    So I was mistaken, it runs at 1.0560V at full speed, but it is still less than the 1.062V of your vBIOS. We REALLY need to figure out how to enable that damn nvidia inspector slider so we can do some proper tuning here.
    980M_Dell_Stock.gif

Ashtrix and Prema like this.
  4. Prema

Reputations:
    The Mod uses 1.062, which in your case should be exactly the stock voltage of your lower ASIC card. (If you see 1.067v on the other card then your other cards stock voltage is even one step higher than average).
    Your higher ASIC card is now overvolted by 0.006v... :)

I have made a few tests and found that even with on-the-fly undervolting fully unlocked it'll override the voltage slider again after a second to set it back to it's base-line.

I can make vBIOS which starts at a lower baseline like e.g 1v (aka fixed undervolt), but this forced undervolt would not work for many as it is too low and simply crashes their cards.
    Even systems that used to run stable @ 1v with the svl7 version are now crashing with newer driver as they put higher load on the components than they used to aka running hotter than the pre-360 driver.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    Ashtrix likes this.
  5. vulcan78

vulcan78 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply and for the work you've put into getting 980M to be backward compatible. I'm cautiously interested swapping out the 680M SLI in my M18xR2 for a single 980M (Clevo), what is the current situation with 980M in the R2?

Thanks again.

6. Prema

Reputations:
    The R2 and other AW should not throttle using the Clevo based mod unless OCed.

7. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    I think a 1.00V baseline should be released, at person's own risk though. It is easy to overvolt, not easy to undervolt. I wonder why the slider is busted..

8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    If you lower the base voltage it will likely be unstable and require lowering the core clock and produce below expected stock performance, which is already a problem on Alienware. I am puzzled about one thing... Why do you want to cripple performance if the temps are OK? Most people with 980M want to go exactly the opposite direction, so you may be the odd man out on this one. On a given model of CPU or GPU using more voltage means more performance potential and using less voltage mean less performance potential. I just had @Prema provide me with a custom 980M vBIOS mod with higher voltage limits.

Papusan and Prema like this.
  9. Prema

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

10. Rengsey R. H. Jr.

Rengsey R. H. Jr. I Never Slept

Reputations:
    @Prema , How an I get my 980m to be able to get to those settings ? :)