Prema has released v2 of his 980M and 970M mods - GSYNC or no GSYNC - fix for 361+ and new base

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Ethrem, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    As some of you are aware, I have been testing a 361 series compliant 980M vbios. Prema has now deemed the mod as stable and has released it for both standard and G-Sync machines using a new base. Remember, do not flash a G-Sync vbios to a Non-GSYNC machine and vice versa!

Non G-Sync: https://biosmods.wordpress.com/gtx9/

G-Sync: https://biosmods.wordpress.com/gtx9-g/

As always, flash at your own risk. And don't forget to donate a beer or coffee for his time if you can. Enjoy!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    Vasudev, jaybee83, Cakefish and 6 others like this.
  2. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Patiently awaiting Alienware 18 edition

Vasudev and Ethrem like this.
  3. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Prema hasn't had it tested on the AW18 yet. If you're willing to test it, he said it won't brick but he isn't sure if the second fan will spin properly so if you want to test it, feel free and just report back if the fan works.

Vasudev likes this.
  4. Raidriar

Reputations:
    Sure, I would be happy to test. He can PM me if need be.

Vasudev and Ethrem like this.
  5. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    He's been quite busy lately but I've been in communication with him (I emailed him to ask him about the 18 and he got right back to me) - it's up to you if you want to test it or not, I just don't know if he has plans to release another Alienware-specific mod right now.

6. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I have never done this before, but I just got a Sager with a non-Gsync 980M running the current/v1 Prema BIOS. What is the best way to flash the card? Is it a matter of creating the MS-DOS bootable flash drive, putting the files from the Prema .rar archive in the flash drive's root directory, disabling UEFI, booting from the USB, hitting 'update' at the prompt, and letting it do its thing, making sure to shut down and unplug the machine when I'm done? I would assume I need to uninstall and use DDU to remove the existing GPU drivers.

I'm particularly apprehensive about this as the Sager is the 9772, so there's no iGPU to fall back on if I screw something up. Help/advice is greatly appreciated as I would love to run something more than the 359.00 drivers.

Ethrem likes this.
  7. Ethrem

Ethrem Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Actually Maxwell is entirely different. You need to go to device manager, right click your card, and hit disable then just run batch script for the first card, follow the prompts, then enable the card and reboot.

If you have any CPU or RAM overclocks or tweaks enabled I would turn them off just to be on the safe side but the flash is very straightforward and it is over very quickly.

8. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    This is with the drivers installed from within a full boot of Windows? I don't need to uninstall the drivers and/or boot into safe mode?

Ethrem likes this.
  9. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Finally! Will have to donate when I get home!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Ethrem likes this.
  10. Raidriar

Reputations:
    PM me his contact info, I'll inquire further about testing.

Ethrem likes this.