Prema BIOS questions

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by droidmahn, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    It seems they have chosen to take a different path.
    Having hidden menus exposed is better than nothing. Hiding menus is a pretty chickenpoop approach from all of the notebook OEMs and they all deserve to be severely punished for it. There are ways of modding to expose hidden menus to improve a castrated piece of trash, and then there are truly unlocked BIOSes where everything works and all of the hidden problems and latent defects are fixed. @Prema provides a product that delivers.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  2. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Indeed. @Prema firmware mods are a blessing and a gift that none are entitled to. People that don't want crippled crap should not buy it with the expectation that Prema is going to fix it for them if they buy it from a vendor that is not a PremaMod partner. That approach is foolish and specious.

For the record, there is not any model of laptop that I am interested in owning without a Prema BIOS. No, not one. I won't spend money on broken garbage that I can only hope gets fixed someday. Here is where there is value and intelligence in buying from a Prema Partner Shop. It is unfortunate for those that have no capability of doing so. Some that claim they cannot have not explored all the options available to them, and some are just cheapskates or don't want the extra hassle and expense involved based on where they live. That's not Prema's problem. People that can easily buy from a Prema Partner Shop need to think carefully about the matter and get their priorities straight.

Whining and complaining about not being able to get it in a forum just makes them look like spoiled children, and actually decreases the likelihood that they will ever receive it as special unmerited gift someday.

Ultimate blame rests on ALL of the manufacturers for selling broken trashbooks. LGA and MXM will do nothing to fix cancerous firmware. End of story. Right @Papusan?

3. Scopus

Scopus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    How do i mod bios to expose hidden menus? I am stuck with stock bios

Vasudev and Mr. Fox like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    I do not know how. I wish I did. It would be awesome to know how. But, there is another problem for most. No way to flash it after modding since now all of the scumbag loser OEMs have firmware protection in place. You would need to use a programmer to take a dump from the BIOS chip, tweak that file, then use the programmer to put it back. You would need a way to sign the modded BIOS or circumvent the signature-enforced write protection cancer to flash it using conventional means.

I would also love to know how to permanently remove the signature enforcement. I have no use for that trash, and I would arbitrarily remove it from everything I own if I knew how.

5. Prema

Prema Your Freedom, Your Choice

Reputations:
    Don't be fooled, there is no performance gained by simply having more options. Those days are long gone.
    Just using Throttlestop, XTU or even CCC OC app will yield the same results.

Edit: Just to bring it into perspective. It took me litteraly 3 months and hundreds of bricks to remove the throttle from the P870KM1. And I have modded a BIOS or two before...

6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    The issue with the KM1, and the lengthy battle with the Tornado F5/EVOC 16L-G-1080 are excellent examples of why just exposing hidden menus is not anywhere near enough to be considered a solution. It's only part of the solution. It's awesome to have all of the configuration options available that everyone deserves to have, many of which have little or nothing to do with overclocking. But, as diabolical as they may be, the hidden menus is not the cancer part. The filth that totally ruins the performance of really good hardware has no menus. Making the menus accessible won't fix those problems.

7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Well, I feel everyone needs access to advanced options. My gigabyte board had a hotkey where you press ctrl and F1 to unlock hidden menus.
    Without Prema vBIOS the stock vBIOS was limiting or throttling itself upon lite gaming.

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  8. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    After doing tech support for so many years, it's sometimes a breath of relief that people don't have access to certain things. I can just imagine how a phone call would go with a court reporter wanting to adjust their core ratio limits...

9. DreDre

DreDre Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I agree with you wholeheartedly MR Fox. Prema is the only reason i have continued to own Clevo notebooks. Upon reading the forums and seeing the horror stories of people buying notebooks not with an affiliation with Prema and them have a myriad of issues with the notebook. I would not ever get another Clevo laptop from a reseller not having a partnership with Prema. The PremaMOD saves time and heartaches from purchasing a notebook from a NON Prema partner and the machine does not work right or up to potential.

10. iMaddy

iMaddy Newbie

Reputations:
    Finally I found a topic where Prema answers. Hello everyone, I want to make undervolt gpu on my sager NP8657 (P650RE). Do I need to install a modified BIOS or just install the old version of the drivers and afterburner? If you need a bios, then where can I buy it?

Vasudev likes this.