Prema BIOS questions

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by droidmahn, Aug 30, 2016.

1. droidmahn

droidmahn Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I just read on a thread that you can only get a Prema BIOS through a reseller that supports it.. back in my P151EM1 days they were just available to download.. and I was rather looking forward to tinkering with it on my P775DM3

Is this accurate? Is there no other way either through donation or maybe even a replacement BIOS chip to get a Prema BIOS these days?

2. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Idr about donation, but yeah in the U.S. HIDEvolution and Eurocom are the places to get it.

Phoenix likes this.
  3. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That is correct. @Prema was betrayed by someone with very, very low ethics - http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/clevo-overclockers-lounge.788975/page-257#post-10263050

Prema deserves compensation for the huge amount of time and work that goes into the BIOS. Your best bet is to use a Prema partner - https://biosmods.wordpress.com/partner/ . BTW, I think this is a FABULOUS idea. It means Prema is working in tandem with resellers. They know what his work can do, and he knows their hardware. A logical and very smart business move for everyone involved.

Since you purchased one already, scrounge around on his site - https://biosmods.wordpress.com/ . It does look like donations may help you in your quest.

Good luck!

4. jclausius

jclausius Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Phoenix, droidmahn and i_pk_pjers_i like this.
  5. Nabucco

Nabucco Newbie

Reputations:
    Greetings, everyone. A question to Prema or other bios tech savvy forumites.

I've got a Clevo W370SS laptop with a GTX 860M videocard and an i7 4700MQ CPU. It is also known as Sager NP7378, DEXP Ares 101, and DNS Extreme 0802876. The former two brand names are used in the Russian market.

Basically, my problem was the laptop's slight overheating when I played a not so demanding game (PoE) at low-medium video settings.

I wanted to underclock the powerful 860M 60 Watt GPU and perhaps the CPU as well to make it heat less. And yes, I'm all very new to all these vBios mod matters.

So, I decided to explore Prema mod's features and just followed the instructions from his website on wordpress, installing W370SS Prema Mod v1.

Half way through BIOS updating I got these messages and the process froze. The same problem was reported by Nicholas at the Premamod website so I borrowed his shot illustrating the problem.
    [​IMG]

After waiting for some 20 minutes I shut down the laptop and then pulled out the CMOS battery to reset BIOS. I'm not really sure whether the laptop had been temporarily bricked before I reset BIOS.

Then the laptop started no problem and I accessed Prema BIOS mod's settings and modified some of them all right, so the BIOS seems functional.

Now I really wonder

1. What might have caused the freezing during BIOS update? I followed Prema's instructions thoroughly, and Nicholas had had the same problem, too. I'm not sure if it's relevant, but he's also using the Russian version of this laptop.

2. Was the Prema BIOS update actually successful despite the freezing? If it wasn't, how do I complete the update or run a fresh update? Also, is there a newer (v2 or v3) version available that would suit my Clevo?

3. Can I underclock my GPU and/or CPU using Prema's BIOS? I failed to find these features in the mod.

It might have been a silly experiment, but Prema's enthusiastic effort on BIOS modding are very much appreciated, the BIOS offered by DEXP is extremely limited.

Thanks in advance for any help!

6. Prema

Prema Little BIOS Mod

Reputations:
    1 & 2:

It didn't freeze for Nicholas!
    His previous/existing vBIOS already was a factory brick (which he apparently didn't even notice) and flashing the Mod actually recovered it. ;)

The W370SS series also had some factory BIOS problems on older revisions, which lead to the hanging in your case.
    Since you are updated now you are on a golden version and it can no longer happen. ;)

3:

You can now e.g disable cores, Turbo, hyper-threading, underclock the CPU in the the 'CPU Configuration' section of the BIOS.
    To underclock the GPU you can use the software NVIDIA Inspector.

ENJOY! :)

DreDre, Stress Tech, Papusan and 4 others like this.
  7. Nabucco

Nabucco Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot for your time and for your prompt response, Prema. You know you rock! And it's really no wonder that DEXP BIOS is obsolete crap.
    I'll repost your response at other places where I asked this.

One extra problem here, I guess the process of updating stopped on vBIOS update, so now my NVidia GTX 860M is no longer initialized, as I found out since the initial post.
    Should I flash the vBIOS using NVflash or your have some other advice on the issue? E.g., should I run your BIOS mod update afresh?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    Prema and Mr. Fox like this.
  8. Prema

Prema Little BIOS Mod

Reputations:
    Remove the AC Adapter while the system is OFF, then plug it back in and after booting from USB/DOS only type 'xx' and confirm with 'enter'. That will only re-flash the vBIOS and EC. ;)

geko95gek, jclausius and Mr. Fox like this.
  9. Nabucco

Nabucco Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot, that did the trick. You are a controller magician, a hardware shaman. The major laptop vendors should be hiring your as an expert. [​IMG]

Papusan, Prema and Mr. Fox like this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Right on! @Prema is the man!

Papusan and Prema like this.