PREMA BIOS MOD Review

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by HTWingNut, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Chastity

Chastity Company Representative

Reputations:
    Offering BIOS updates like that also means increasing your tech support load w/o much profit margin to pay for the support team time and salaries. Best to just support the things you actually make money off of.

2. Notebookbackbreaker

Notebookbackbreaker Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    In that case, wouldn't it be good if existing resellers could offer it for a fee? This is, of course, considering whether the existing resellers would themselves be comfortable adopting a model where they offer it "as is" and of course, do not provide the source binaries to prevent prema's hard work from being distributed. This would mean they can, theoretically, use their own support for the same.
    It all depends on how people see it fit. I do not mind paying for it because I am a programmer too and I know how much work something like that can take :)!

3. anytimer

anytimer Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    IMHO people who ask for BIOS updates are tech savvy enough not to need much handholding by the support team. You download the correct BIOS, follow the instructions for updating it, and make a few settings changes as per your needs. Also, you'll be doing this maybe once a year, tops, usually much less frequently. If the instructions are correct, negligible support is needed. (By correct, I mean with details like size of pen drive, formatted with which file system, etc. I remember some very old systems which needed a very small USB drive - larger drives would just not work. We'd keep aside those old drives just for this.) We are laptop guys - not like the poor desktop fellows where there is a real risk of power outage in the middle of the update - been there, done that, goodbye motherboard.

I recently updated the firmware of my oscilloscope where the update utility verifies the entire pen drive before allowing the update - my 32 GB pen drive was taking effing forever. I reformatted the drive to 2 GB, and then everything went well. It is little, seemingly insignificant details like this that cause trouble.

4. JCordero31

JCordero31 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thing is @Prema went thru some issues before someone was stealing his work and making money off it so he took down all his work. which is sad because that one person ruined it for the world! Now the Bios God as i call him is very hard to reach and none of his old work exist and only a select trusted few have access to his premamod page. I would sit and unlock the bios myself but it takes alot of time which i dont have. I gladly pay top dollar for his work. Ive had over 12 clevos laptops and all had prema bios on it! My last one even had a custom made one by prema himself! Im very appreciative of his work and give him the upmost respect. thats why i say they should install zero chance of stealing his work

5. Notebookbackbreaker

Notebookbackbreaker Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Its understandable that he got vexed by someone rebranding his stuff as his own just to make money. Anyway, the thing is, I am not sure how to reach out to him since I feel it would be good to have a bios which has some sort of safeguards against my destructive nature (lol). Its not like I OC the hell out of things, rather, I uv and try and keep the turbo boost as high as it can be and for longer. I believe the stock bios can do that as well but I like having a bit more control to set my ram timings etc and come out with a laptop which performs optimally given the thermal, power envelopes I plan to run them under. The next project, of course, would be to try and learn bios programming so that I can learn how to create ROMs which will work well, atleast that's the idea :).

JCordero31 likes this.
  6. Andycinoz

Andycinoz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    hi guys, I’m looking at buying a new Sager / Clevo with a 9900k CPU and 2080 Nvidia card.

My question is, as an enthusiastic gamer but someone who’s not concerned about going completely balls to the wall, do I need to concern myself with getting the PREMA mod, as I’d be happy with the capacity / room that a reseller overclock would give me.

Also, does anyone have suggestions on good resellers to work with? I’ve bought a couple of machines through Xotic PC, but would be happy to explore other suppliers if they offer decent savings!

7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Try https://www.hidevolution.com/ and they are Prema partner.

electrosoft likes this.
  8. Andycinoz

Andycinoz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I want to like HID, but I struggle with their website - especially sorting by multiple hardware minimums - unless I’m doing it wrong...

9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Send them an email. Also @Donald@HIDevolution is sometimes on the forum and can give you info for what you want or ask for:)

Alpha.Mangi, Vasudev and Andycinoz like this.
  10. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    I would be happy to help. Please reach out to me by email or phone...in my signature below.