Preliminary results of Quadro P5200m and GTX 1070m on M6700

Discussion in 'Dell' started by RMSMajestic, Feb 19, 2019.

1. RMSMajestic

RMSMajestic Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Okay so tonight, I grinded a little around my M6700 (Got some other repair works going on for my cousin's M6700). The results are not satisfying (yet), but just FYI

1. Let's start with P5200
    The only available standard MXM Quadro P5200 GPU available on the market is from HP. which appears to have missing the EEPROM chip for vBIOS. Dell use their own DGFF thing and thinpad P72 is BGA craps
    So tonight I soldered on the EEPROM chip for my Quadro P5200m. But the results are more or less disappointing.
    The vRAM chips for P5000 and P5200 appears to be the same, or of minor difference. And based on another person's GTX 980m => GTX 980 upgrade, I thought the P5000m vBIOS will work straight away. However it just refuse to boot. Appears like AMD vega where a embedded security microprocessor just shutdown the card when other BIOS are flashed.

Flashing the P5200m vBIOS from Dell 7730, it is working. The Dell logo shows up, But nothing further. In conclusing it will only work with P5200 vBIOS, which based on date will not be compatible with M6700

2. GTX 1070m
    This one is a bit interesting. I tried the vBIOS extracted by henrik. My M6700 seemed to boot fine, it shows boot screen, the "Press F1 to continue" and stff. But when it gets to booting the system, the screen turns completely black, without backlit. Press Caps locks gives a response, however I cannot tell if it has really booted or not. Or what exactly was going on. When I pressed Ctrl+Alt+Delete it restarts, but I'm pretty sure it's not bluescreen or stuck at windows error checks.

Good thing is, I have quite a few vBIOSes to try around with. Will update later.

Also, I was trying to fix my cousin's M6700 tonight. It turned out that the GTX 980m is somehow shorted and worse, it will burn every single M6700 Motherboard that it is plugged into. Need suggestion!

Also looking for GTX 980m, PM me if you have one lying around somewhere

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  2. JEAMN

JEAMN Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    How does that work? I was unable to find the bios chip on my 980m either. But it clearly has a vBios

That bios is for a 1BE1 which I think is a gsync. That might explain the lack of display output. Are you able to try the HDMI or DP outputs?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2019
  3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Eurocom sent me this press release some months back. It looks like there is a Quadro P5200 MXM card used in this system. (Not sure if it would work any better, or how to get one standalone for that matter.)

4. RMSMajestic

Reputations:
    Could you please send me the vBIOS?

5. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    I don't have one of these cards, I'm just mentioning its existence...

6. RMSMajestic

Reputations:
    Oh okay. I think those will be some sort of deformed cards like the clevo GTX 1070. those would share similar PCB design

7. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    The press release does state that the cards are 82x105mm which is the standard size for MXM 3.0b.

[Edit]
    On the upgrade screen for this system, you can purchase the Quadro cards standalone... Nice of them to do this, not cheap though :p
    http://www.eurocom.com/ec/upgrade(2,452,0)TornadoF7W

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  8. RMSMajestic

Reputations:
    $2499..... WOW, take my kidney.

9. JEAMN

JEAMN Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  10. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    kudos on trying!

btw, do you have any nvidia drivers preinstalled on your system? the black screen upon windows loading sounds like it may be driver related. try and boot into safe mode and remove gpu driver via DDU, see if that helps.

Sent from my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (Oxygen) using Tapatalk