Predator 17x 1080gtx owners lounge

Discussion in 'Acer' started by dodgehemi0, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Moe Digliani

Moe Digliani Newbie

Reputations:
    Just bought the 7700HQ model for $2K at microcenter. Planning to set up a dual boot configuration (Ubuntu 16.04). I'm wondering if instead of dividing the 256gb ssd into 128gb per OS, I'd be better off adding a second 256gb ssd and putting Ubuntu on that one. Although it could turn out to be sufficient, 128gb seems so small. Have any other owners of this laptop set up a dual boot config? If so, any thoughts on whether putting Ubuntu on a separate ssd is worth the cost? Or will the system utilize the 1tb hdd efficiently enough to make 128gb per OS sufficient (i.e., no significant performance lag)? Thanks.

2. prosetheus

prosetheus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey.

I'm also looking at this machine. However, there are mostly reviews of the models with the 1070 online. Considering how much problems people have been having with the 1080 in other laptops, what is the opinion of those with experience with this machine? I am also tempted by the Alienware 17 r4 but the minimum 1080 config is for $2300. It does have the graphics amp port and a 120 HZ gsync display, though I think I will have sold this machine by the time I need that port.

3. jrwingate6

jrwingate6 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Is everyone on board with the conclusion that once the CPU is re-pasted, there are no thermal issues?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just picked one of these up at microcenter for 2000. Awesome build quality. Temps on the CPU and GPU are also insanely cool. Very happy I went with this over the Alienware 17. Also, 1080P at 75hz with a GTX 1080 should plow through anything for a very long time.

5. jrwingate6

Reputations:
    What max temp are you getting on the CPU/GPU during benchmark testing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. HaloGod2012

HaloGod2012 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Max I've seen in benchmarks for the CPU is around 70C and GPU around 69C. This is gaming benchmarks only, no stress tests. Very impressive.

jrwingate6 likes this.
  7. Nauzhror

Nauzhror Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    They're refurbished, but Amazon has the 7820HK model for under 2 grand. I've been trying to decide what to buy for a while now, think I'm going to risk the refurbished hardware and go for it. I'll test the temps adequately in the first 3 months while they are still warrantying it, and send it back if it's running unacceptably hot.

8. jrwingate6

Reputations:
    Why does Acer lock these laptop's into RAID 0?

I heard there is a work around to delete the RAID and reinstall Windows onto a single drive. Is this difficult and does anyone know how to do it?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

9. Pechenn

Pechenn Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi. Got one from MicroCenter few weeks ago and noticed some problems:
    1 - while playing games like whitcher 3 or metro ll laptop is slowly discharging ~15% per hour. it become into charging state after ~20 minutes of playing.

2 - if lightly shake laptop its making noise like something inside hitting botom near main cooler and subwoofer. so i like to open bottom but scares to lost warranty.

maybe this problem are connected
    if somebody met this problems?
    i left country so cant bring device back to shop now.