Predator 17x 1080gtx owners lounge

Discussion in 'Acer' started by dodgehemi0, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 what is quality control?

Reputations:

sparse specs

I would say around 20+ms @60hz

2. Thermo_Nuke

Thermo_Nuke Newbie

Reputations:
    I think I found it. 25ms response time which is kind of disappointing. I believe its the same panel on the GL702VS I currently have that I am about to return and it exhibits moderate ghosting. Specs list it as a 60hz, but i believe they have a factory OC of 75hz. Can be OCed up to 100hz safely but the 25ms response time is crippling.

http://www.panelook.com/LP173WF4-SPF1_LG Display_17.3_LCM_parameter_21056.html

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's pretty standard response time for 17.3" IPS.

To get faster you need TN panel's, which have their own drawbacks - I prefer IPS unless 120hz TN or above - even so the TN needs to be wide-gamut and have correctable color.

That Predator w/7820HK is a much better performance choice than a 7700HQ, but you might not notice the difference anyway, as with a 1080 the FPS will be high enough for G-sync at 60/75hz - probably even at 100hz OC.

IDK why MSI isn't putting only 7820HK's with 1080's - which would be a better fit...Alienware had 7700HQ + 1080's only too.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  4. Thermo_Nuke

Thermo_Nuke Newbie

Reputations:
    I agree. Thats why I'm starting to lean towards the MSI.. Its a significant jump in price but I may just plunk down on the MSI GT73VR w/ 7820hk & 1080 with the 120mhz 5ms panel. I've been reading a lot of reviews on that panel and people seem really impressed with its color production and gamut once calibrated. I think 2800 is pretty steep for the laptop but I want to make sure I'll be happy with it long term.

I have a ROG Swift on my desktop at home and even though its a 144hz TN panel, I've been very happy with it.

hmscott likes this.
  5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's the sweet spot currently for MSI, the GT73VR + 7820HK + 1080 :)

The 7820HK OC'd to 4.2ghz-4.5ghz (depending on luck), should help push 144hz to your external monitor too.

Please come back and let us know how it works out :)

6. nikolai090

nikolai090 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi Guys, I'm currently looking into this laptop right now, since I can't afford the MSI in my country, too expensive here, but this one is a lot more affordable. I've read all the reviews and videos but I can't seem to find a small piece of data. I'm looking at the one with 7820HK and the GTX 1080.

1) Now from all the benchmarks and reviews I've watched, running PredatorSense in Turbo Mode will overclock both CPU and GPU, no toggle for just one of them?

2) On Turbo for both, benchmarks state that there's thermal throttling as it can reach up to 98c on the CPU only, however there's no real world gaming data. I want to know if the temps reach that threshold on longterm gaming. Lets say you play Witcher 3 or GTA V or even Watch Dogs 2 for more than 3 hours, does the CPU temps reach 90c?

Your input would be greatly appreciated!

7. wiinner

wiinner Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    1) there is no option to overclock them seperatly.

2) Temps stay under 90c if you dont overclock it here is witcher 3 after running 1 hour with maximum fan(1080p ultra setting+ reshade sweetfx) . With the highest overclock option i hit 87-99 c
    http://imgur.com/a/BNA9v . I am thinking about repasting it.

nikolai090 likes this.
  8. nikolai090

Reputations:
    Thanks for the input, if I may ask, what were your playing conditions, on a desk with good airflow? Airconditioned room? Thanks!

9. Tex334

Tex334 Newbie

Reputations:
    Do you have a backpack or bag for this beast? I just got mine a little while ago and have been struggling to find a backpack for under $200 that I know will fit it... I bought a Targus Strike thinking that it would fit, but apparently 17.3" bags don't fit these beasts...

10. nikolai090

Reputations:
    dodgehemi0 likes this.