Predator 17x 1080gtx owners lounge

Discussion in 'Acer' started by dodgehemi0, Mar 22, 2017.

1. dodgehemi0

dodgehemi0 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I could not find this lounge so I figured I'd make one since mine gets here on Friday..

Here is notebook check review
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Predator-17-X-7820HK-FHD-GTX-1080-Laptop-Review.207172.0.html

Here is notebook check video review pretty good I think.

Another review
    http://laptopmedia.com/review/acer-...eview-4k-gaming-on-a-laptop-finally-worth-it/

Unboxing a cheap version of the 1080gtx one.

Acer predator 17x website
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/predator-17x-series

Drivers page
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/6644?b=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone else have one? If so did you have any problems? Do you have any benchmarks done? What do you like about it???

Pics of the inside: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Update there is only 1 pcie m.2 for storage out of the 3 total. The port with the ssd in it is the pcie port.

There is a total of 3 fans, and as the advertising may tell you that it's all about the aero fan, well the aero fan is the gpu fan. The other are big plastic fans not metal like the gpu fan.

Here is an awesome breakdown of the internals on this beast.

http://laptopmedia.com/highlights/i...assembly-internal-photos-and-upgrade-options/

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    hmscott likes this.
  2. dodgehemi0

Reputations:
    Dang no one??? Well I received mine today and wow talk about quality. Very well built

Ok so I've had an EVGA SC17, MSI GT73vr with the 1080 had to return both due to well, issues. I bought them both from Amazon wearhouse for a major discount so I can't complain. I've also been an Alienware fan for years I had the Alienware 17r3 which I gave to my 6yr old son and I wanted to try something new. Since I had bad luck with the MSI and EVGA, which I really like I thought I'd try this Predator 17x... oh I also, had an Aorus X7 V6 and it's nice but that screen is horrible color and every thing about that screen sucks. Well so far so good with the 17x this thing is a beast it reminds me of the EVGA SC17 laptop, as in how well it's built "like a tank". It's heavy, but man is it well built it looks like it's all one piece. The soft touch is soooooo very nice. I can't get over how well built it is and in some ways beautiful. Now the power is crazy it puts that MSI GT73vr I had to shame. I was very surprised about that. Out of the box fire strike was 15606 the msi was 14545. Now when I OC the 17X it went to 17567 crazy I really like this laptop and it's build quality and power.

Oh wanted to add also, the MSI had amazing sound for a laptop then I tried the 17X and it blew the MSI away in sound quality.

3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Cheapest GTX 1080 Gaming Notebook?
    Acer Predator GX-792-7448
    Full Review

Reviewer missed mentioning there is a 2nd M.2 header just next to the installed M.2 driver connector, to the right and above - it would mount about 1/4" above the installed M.2 - you can see this when he takes off the whole bottom shell - he video's the area and shows the 2nd connector but he doesn't say anything...

The laptop seems to be a great contender against the other 1080 laptops, better price at the lowest configuration, and has lots of good features - like 3 quiet fans - first time I've seen an intake fan at the front to help air flow over the rest of the parts which should really help stability and long term surviveability :)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    jaug1337 and dodgehemi0 like this.
  4. dodgehemi0

Reputations:
    Wow does anyone have one of these?????

5. dodgehemi0

Reputations:
    Anyone know of a utility that will let me ramp the rpms higher on the fans?

6. Thermo_Nuke

Thermo_Nuke Newbie

Reputations:
    How are you guys enjoying yours? Im considering buying this laptop but im worried about thermals and if the 7700HQ will be a bottleneck for the GPU.

7. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 what is quality control?

Reputations:
  8. Thermo_Nuke

Thermo_Nuke Newbie

Reputations:
  9. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 what is quality control?

Reputations:
    MSi is expensive compared to competition, but their internal cooling and hardware design is superior.

I'd take the BH model and sell the SSDs if you're strapped for cash, the 7820HK is a well worth investment.

BH also don't charge tax if you live outside of NY and NJ.

hmscott likes this.
  10. Thermo_Nuke

Thermo_Nuke Newbie

Reputations:
    You wouldnt happen to know what panel the Predator uses would you? Trying to figure out what the response time is.