Precision M6500 three HDDs without RAID?

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by htfan, Nov 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. htfan

htfan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can the M6500 run three hard drives (in the two internal bays and one in the optical/media bay) without needing a RAID setup? Dell.com doesn't seem to allow you to configure three drives unless some form of RAID is used.

BTW, what's the part number for the extra hard drive module/carrier that goes in the optical bay? Where's a good place to get that?

Thanks!:)

2. debguy

debguy rip dmr

Reputations:
    Yes it works without RAID. I have this setup running.

I don't know if Dell has any part number for the media bay caddy, or even the part at all. It's a standard slot with 9.5mm height and SATA interface. So any caddy that matches these criteria should work. I got mine from here:
    2nd Hard Drive (or SSD) Caddy for DELL Precision M6400, M6500 [OBHD9-SATA-SATA-B] - $42.00 : NewmodeUS, Hard Drive Caddys for Notebooks

Edit:
    You should watch out when configuring this 3 drive setup! It might be that the 3rd drive is not an HDD/SSD in the media bay but the flash module which has an extra port.

3. htfan

htfan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks! :)

4. debguy

debguy rip dmr

Reputations:
    Does the secondary slot actually support 12.5mm drives? I haven't checked so far but it would come in handy. I'm not sure about the primary slot either but I think I've seen that this one won't support 12.5mm drives.

5. debguy

debguy rip dmr

Reputations:
    Sorry, I'm not sure if I got you right. The DVD slot in the M6500 can definitely not handle a 12.5mm drive. There might be enough room in the primary HDD slot for a 12.5mm drive, but as far as I can tell, the caddy itself isn't high enough. The same might apply to the secondary HDD slot and caddy, but I never took this caddy out.

6. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The M6500 ODD is 12.7mm high, so a 12.5mm height HDD should fit. You just have to find a compatible HDD caddy. The other two HDDs are 9.5mm, while the third listed HDD is miniPCIe.

7. Quadzilla

Quadzilla The eye is watching you

Reputations:
    Yes i am running 3 HDs in my M6500 with no issues and not in any RAID config .. 1 SSD and 2 Mechanical..

I bought that caddy from NewmodeUS but i had to file the plastic bezel down to make it fit properly which was rather disappointing .. The model i ordered was the correct one, part number etc..

Other then that everything is working correctly..

8. debguy

debguy rip dmr

Reputations:
    No! The M6500 has an ODD bay of 9.5mm height. I'm sitting in front of my M6500 and have another laptop with a 12.5mm DVD drive not a meter away. So believe me, I know the difference.

Thanks for the confirmation! I had the same problem, but somebody else who ordered the same caddy told me that it fits perfectly. So I thought I just had bad luck.

9. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Whoops, I was thinking about the HP 8740w (also the W701 uses 12.7mm).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.