1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Precision M6400 screen color as blue push/tint

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Sonnie Parker, Dec 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    17" UltraSharp™ WXGA+ (1440x900) LCD Display
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 2700M, 512MB Discrete
    Windows XP Pro

I got my Dell M6400 in about 10 days ago and immediately noticed a bluish/purplish tint in the grays. I compared it to my other two laptops and several desktops and it is definitely off. I connected my desktop monitor to the video out on the M6400 and it looks like it is suppose to.

After trying about everything possible, I contacted support and they immediately sent someone out to replace the LCD. No help. The tech noticed it as well and agreed that it was not (or at least should not) be normal. I have never seen a screen do this before.

At any rate... Dell is sending me a new machine, but I am worried that this might be something that is inherent with this video card and LG screen combination.

I simply cannot imagine this being inherent and Dell allowing laptops to go out with the problem. I can't even imagine how they could have tested the screen and not noticed the problem.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any ideas?

2. Pirx

Pirx Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Well, what I do know is that your standard laptop screen has usually god-awful color representation, typically tending toward the greenish-blueish for the Dell LCDs I have seen over the years. If you take such a screen and color-calibrate it, you may get the impression that the greys have a slight red tint even though they are now the way they are supposed to appear. My point is that what you are seeing may be a screen that is just as bad (or good, depending on how you look at it) as any other laptop LCD. If you really want accurate color representation you need to get a hardware calibration tool to adjust your color map.

Of course, not having seen your screen in real life, I can't really comment on how far off your screen is. Just try the new machine, and see if you like it better...

3. Sonnie Parker

Reputations:
    Granted, most of these are NOT perfect by any means, but with just my naked eye my other two laptops and all my desktops are very close when you sit them side by side. This one sticks out like a sore thumb. I also did not notice it with my i9300 I had previous to my HP and Fujitsu laptops.

Hopefully the new one will be better and this one was just a fluke.

4. jsventer

jsventer Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi:
    I'm glad to see I am not the only one at the Dell universe that had detected the problem. Could you be so kind as to check this post at Dell Forums?
    http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19243123/19374298.aspx#19374298

Today I have received the Display port / HDMI adapter and I have managed to test the computer using a 50" plasma TV. Colours and images were perfect so we must discard the FX3700. The problem is on the LCD (the green component). There might be a faulty WUXGA series around the world.

Please confirm if you see the undefined pushpin and/or if your replacement solves the problem (mine didn't).

Regards

Javier

5. Sonnie Parker

Reputations:
    I will definitely let you know and I will check out that Dell thread.

6. Sonnie Parker

Reputations:
    It appears we are experiencing two different problems. I am not sure how you arrived at us having the same problem really... :scratching head:

As described above, I have a bluish/purplish tint in the grays. I am not having any issues with "undefinition" as you described it in the Dell thread.

Anyway, we'll see if the replacement does the trick.

7. willmorg

willmorg Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Replacement fixed it for me.

8. onyro

onyro Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have a red circular glow in the bottom left corner, which is mostly viible on a grey background, i had the lcd changed today by dell and the new one has it too.. but abit less.. :-(

9. jsventer

jsventer Newbie

Reputations:
    Sonnie:
    Maybe I missused the word. Actually, the yellow pushpin I mentioned at the Dell forums post is not undefined, but it is completely yellow, whilst the white one shows shadows textures and other details. If you have seen identical pushpins except for the colour, I am happy because there will be a solution to my problem.

I suppose you have already checked all the settings at the Nvidia control pannel but...just in case: While I was testing my computer I change some setting for the blue colour which gave the whole screen the effect you are describing.

Regards:

Javier

10. jsventer

jsventer Newbie

Reputations:
    onyro:
    Could you post a photograph of your glow?
    Thanks

11. cruiserandmax

cruiserandmax Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm having what sounds like the exact same blueish push on a WUXGA LCD screen on a new Lattitude E6500 I just got. I know it's a different model/size screen, but would not be surprised if the problem was related- maybe the same screen manufacture? Do you know the manufacturer of the screen you have now that's still blueish?

12. permka

permka Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Do you have any follow up on these stories?

13. cruiserandmax

cruiserandmax Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    On mine, I ended up just tweaking the RGB levels in the Nvidia control panel to lessen the blue a bit and got everything to look normal.

14. permka

permka Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    OK, that's good. Nice and easy fix. How about the other ppl?

Did you manage to fix your problems?

15. Sonnie Parker

Reputations:
    Got the new machine in today... same issue... no fix here.

We have adjusted everything we know to adjust to no avail.

This is a frustrating bummer. Purchased memory and a wireless mouse for it.

I am not sure what will be next. I am on the phone with Dell right now.

16. Sonnie Parker

Reputations:
    My screens have all been LG.

17. Sonnie Parker

Reputations:
    Tech has just told me that they supposedly have a fix for this and he is switching me to ELS for the fix.

18. Sonnie Parker

Reputations:
    That was literally a joke... no kidding! lol... over 2 hours on the phone with them jerking me around. They have no clue what the problem is.

I cannot imagine other M6400 users with these 1440 x 900 LCD screens not having the same unfixable problem, yet I get 3 different screens with all the same problem. Either these people are color blind, don't realize there is a tint, don't care or Dell has actually had some built with no issues.

19. Sonnie Parker

Reputations:
    After finally getting cutoff on the phone... mysteriously while on hold with "Pro" Support, I started back with a chat session. I figured I'd give my ear a rest. They are now going to send a tech out with a LCD screen from a different maker. They have not stated who yet... no sure if they will.

20. jsventer

jsventer Newbie

Reputations:
    Sonnie, I am starving to get the end of your story. It is three months since I started my own complaint to Dell.