Precision 7530 & Precision 7730 owner's thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Jun 27, 2018.

1. supermoth

supermoth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is what I get with the latest 456.38 drivers,after performing a clean drivers installation.

[​IMG]

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I understand that there is a problem, just pointing out that the message that you pointed to is not indicative of a problem, it's normal to see it.
    I'm not really sure what to suggest about your issue. If you recently upgraded to Windows 10 version 2004 and you think that could be part of the problem, you can roll back to the previous version from Settings - Update & Security - Recovery.

3. supermoth

Reputations:
    I did install a previous version of windows 10.
    Still no luck.

Just a quick question.I did reinstall the P5200 and it is showing in the bios,as well as in device manager without an exclamation mark once drivers are fully installed.

Only 2 things are coming to mind now in order to sort my problem.
    1- Is it possible to fully install drivers with a bad installed graphic card?
    2- After just a fresh WIN10 install,is it mandatory to install first the intel graphic drivers? And just after that the nvidia drivers?.
    Is really mandatory to install drivers in an specific order after the fresh windows install.?

4. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    The order doesn't really matter, the NVIDIA driver should install cleanly even if the Intel driver is not installed. (You just won't be able to use it for rendering to a display connected to the Intel GPU until you also install the Intel GPU driver.) The general suggested practice, though, is to install the Intel GPU driver first.

As for what would happen with a "bad" graphics card, there's no hard rule there; it certainly could cause a Device Manager error. I'd be suspect of the hardware if you are having trouble with a clean Windows install. Fortunately, your system should be under warranty (all 7000 Precisions get a 3-year warranty at minimum, I think); call Dell and have the part swapped out if necessary.

5. supermoth

Reputations:
    I am going to try a new vbios.
    Can anyone post a P5200 bios please?

6. JEAMN

JEAMN Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Where did you get your P5200? Are you reinstalling the original card after trying the RTX4000, or is this just a different upgrade you are trying.

I'm curious, because I picked up a P5200 on ebay to upgrade my 7730 and ran into similar issues (Code 43 when Windows tries to initialize the GPU) and could not get the card to work under Linux either. I did not do any inf modding because the P5200 was branded as a Dell and should have been supported. Drivers installed fine. But I also ran into an issue when disabling graphics switching. The laptop would never displaying anything at all. I returned the card as a bad card. I did pull the bios from the card, and it was the same as a few that have been posted here before

Attached Files:

7. supermoth

Reputations:
    The P5200 was a brand new card,but never true tested before,because I was using the 7730 to perform very light work,so the Igpu was always working.
    Drivers intalled perfectly,that is the weird part.After installation on device manager I get as well a code 43 error like you.
    Decided to disable the switching graphics last night,to force the P5200.The computer starts windows with no problems,but the screen is every so often with irregular magenta and blue lines.
    So I think the card needs to be replaced.
    As a last resort I will try to swap bios today.If not working I will call Tech support to take a look.
    I will have to think if I go to the RTX route as well.
    Thanks all for your help.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  8. Regular_Ragnor

Regular_Ragnor Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You are correct that they are not rated for thunderbolt 3, but in my experience they did no harm. All the woes I had with my docking station occurred without these adapters too. I must mention though, I only use a single 3440x1440 resolution display.
    A colleague uses one of those adapters with a WD-15 and a single 4K monitor without issues.

There's a chance you can run into issues when using several higher resolution displays. For the cost of these adapters though, it could be worth it to try it anyway.

9. kousuke

kousuke Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Greetings,

Does anyone know if it is possible to disable the quadro GPU completely through BIOS for improved battery life?

Otherwise I might just remove the GPU completely

Thanks

10. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    You cannot disable it through the BIOS. The best that you can do is go to the NVIDIA control panel and set all programs to run on the integrated GPU — that should keep it powered off in most cases.

You can't physically remove the GPU card unless you install the HDMI/DP pass-through card in its place. The system will not boot with no DGFF card installed.