Precision 7530 & Precision 7730 owner's thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Jun 27, 2018.

1. SvenC

SvenC Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, with 1.12.1 my <Fn>+up/down keys are working again, to control display brightness.
    No issues so far.

2. Mel1k0r

Mel1k0r Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've upgraded and now brightness is not honored by the panel. :-(

Anyone knows how to report a bug? Or do I just go to support (I've downgraded and can control brightness again)?

3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    You have to go to support. Make sure that you are using the Dell-provided graphics drivers because that is the first thing they will want, they won't support a problem if it works with their drivers and is only an issue with the upstream ones. Give them clear reproduction steps and your system configuration (including whether you have graphics switching turned on or off). Hopefully you get someone whose first inclination is not "let's just start replacing parts" and it will go to the engineering team to attempt to reproduce the problem. If they are able to reproduce it then it should get fixed... after a few/several months.

4. Mel1k0r

Mel1k0r Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ...or I'll just wait for the next revision and hope for the best...:)

5. arcticjoe

arcticjoe Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just received and installed a 144Hz panel (NV156FHM-N4B) to replace the crappy 45% gamut one. Predictably colours, contrast and general smoothness of everything are far better then before. Install was really simple and probably one of the quickest swaps I've done thanks to a rubbery bezel cover that popped off really nicely. Negatives are a definite low frequency PWM presence that occurs at any brightness bellow 100%, also colours have a bit of a red shift to them (will try to get it calibrated), which i dont mind as much as colours having a blue shift.
    This seems to be the only 30 pin 144Hz panel that is available currently, so will be definitely keeping it.

6. arcticjoe

arcticjoe Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Anyone else notice a drop in CPU benchmarks with new BIOS? Rolled mine back as temps seemed to go up, whilst performance dipped down 5% or so.

7. SvenC

SvenC Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I had that problem with 1.11.0 and opened a support case. They found that the brightness keys were not working for iGPU-only systems like mine and had an estimate of end of december for a new BIOS. So 1.12.1 came earlier than expected for me.

So it might make sense, to start a support case, to make Dell aware and see if they can repro the problem, to come up with a fix.

Mel1k0r likes this.
  8. Manjeet Singh

Manjeet Singh Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

is someone having link for extension cable for 240w charger to buy ?

Thanks

9. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    So I upgraded to 1.12.1, and lost display brightness control on the dGPU only. I don't want to downgrade either, because it contains lots of security fixes. Sigh, Dell...

EDIT: Downgraded. Brightness control is back.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  10. Lodde76

Lodde76 Newbie

Reputations:
    I tried the same trick on my 7540 but it doesn't work. I found the NV156FHM is to wide to fit. The original 45% gamut display has mounting rails glued to it, while the BOE has its own brackets.
    As I think mechanics are identical on 7530 and 7540, I am wondering why it worked for you but does not in my case??

Regards,
    Lars

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019