Precision 7530 & Precision 7730 owner's thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Jun 27, 2018.

1. brazzmonkey

brazzmonkey Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm a daily user of kubuntu. No problem with wifi whatsoever.

I don't use powertop because tlp proves to be enough. Auto-tuned powertop may be aggressive on some settings (especially regarding usb), but you can manually re-enable any usb stuff from within powertop (if i recall correctly). Then create a powertop config file and load it with powertop at startup.

Tlp is more convenient, if you ask me. You can configure its behaviour for battery and ac. You can also exclude some hardware, such as usb, a mouse, a keyboard...
    Give it a shot, but don't use both powertop and tlp at the same time, there's no point in that.

I also get around 6h max and that's about a 15w power draw. I noticed powertop doesn't report consumption very acurately, with some data missing depending on the use of integrated gpu or discrete gpu.

My main concern regarding battery life is the need to enable c-states feature in bios, which causes my machine to quickly lose input devices when it's connected to tb18dc dock.
    I'm still looking forward to getting a windows installation in order to be able to upgrade tb18dc firmware and get rid of that issue, but that's another story.

-edit to fix multiple typos, damn smartphone-

redmop likes this.
  2. redmop

redmop Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @brazzmonkey is right about powertop being very aggressive and tlp being better for most purposes.

3. arcticjoe

arcticjoe Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I wonder if you're having the same issues I was with wifi (could not get a stable connection to anything, it would drop every 10 seconds), the following fixed it for me:
    create a file /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf

with the following lines added (line 1 disables bluetooth coexistence, line 2 disabled wifi n, line 3 disables power saving features)

options iwlwifi bt_coex_active=0
    options iwlwifi 11n_disable=1
    options iwlwifi power_save=0
    at next reboot these options will apply. If you want to try these without a reboot you can this one liner to test (changes will be undone by a reboot):

sudo lsmod | grep -o -e ^iwlmvm -e ^iwldvm -e ^iwlwifi | xargs sudo rmmod && sleep 3 && sudo modprobe iwlwifi 11n_disable=1 bt_coex_active=0 power_save=0

I've now come to conclusion that 7530 likely has some inherent design flaw in regards to battery life, probably something to do with removable GPU card... Has anyone here tried taking theirs out or unplugging it somehow? I rarely use the GPU vs using the battery every day, so if it wasnt a major pain I might consider disabling it... Would be great if dell offered that as a feature in their BIOS somehow, i am not expecting it to happen though.

4. arcticjoe

arcticjoe Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    For anyone curious whether getting a 240w power supply gets your any extra points on benchmarks (this was rumored by another poster), I'm afraid it doesn't. Just received mine and scores are within 0.5% between 180w and 240w adapters.

5. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Tried it. If you don't have the pass-through card, the notebook simply refuses to boot at all.

6. supermoth

supermoth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi there.What is the reason behind the aluminum foil around the graphic card?.

[​IMG]
    Is it possible to upgrade the 7730 without it?
    Thanks.

7. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    EM shielding, and improving heat dissipation. Its not absolutely necessary, but Dell has put it there for a reason. If your card comes without it, then don't try to jerry-rig a new one, and just use the card as-is.

supermoth likes this.
  8. supermoth

supermoth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for your quick answer.
    Do you know if it has an independent part number?.Or the shielding usually comes as a whole ?

Also,besides Dell.....where can I find a reliable source for the parts needed to upgrade the 7730?.The reason I am asking this is that Dell is out of stock for the flat head screws.And I am trying to upgrade an intel gpu only 7730 unit.

Thanks in adavance for your help.

9. arcticjoe

arcticjoe Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Just to confirm what is probably already known to be true, poor battery life definitely appears to be down to the dGPU not powering down completely. I've done a few tests with switchable graphics on and dGPU not engaged (confirmed via Nvidia GPU Activity monitor / nvidia-smi.exe) and with switchable graphics off (only using dGPU) and projected idle battery life difference was a miniscule 15 minutes between the two. This makes running on dGPU only a little bit more appealing as it yields better CPU scores in benchmarks, though interestingly 3d mark GPU scores are a few 100 points lower when switchable graphics are disabled.
    Wondering whether the same issue exists on the new 7540?
    dGPU on / switchable graphics off:

2019-12-06 22_37_51-Window.png
    dGPU powered down / switchable graphics on:
    2019-12-06 22_27_40-Window.png

10. Soromeister

Soromeister Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    New BIOS just arrived. Version is 1.12.1.

Below are the changes. Looks like there's quite a number of fixes: