Precision 7530 & Precision 7730 owner's thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Jun 27, 2018.

1. nesdnuma

nesdnuma Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Actually I'd be interested to know how much weight a touchscreen adds to the laptop, and if it's as reflective as other touchscreens, such as those on the Lenovo ThinkPad for instance (a picture would be nice).

2. XeonPlanner

XeonPlanner Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I also want to know the model of the touchscreen. I heard that it uses a wider 40pin connector, while the 4k panel uses a narrower 40pin connector.

3. faenil

faenil Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is there anyone with 16gb ram or less who can report the discharge rate on powersaving mode when idle?

4. XeonPlanner

Reputations:
    I'm also considering purchasing a B156HAN10.0 display to replace my current one. @Ionising_Radiation
    What's your result? Does it work?

5. Div033

Div033 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Indeed! Sorry, been at PAX West for the past few days...

The touchscreen is about what I'd expected it to be. It's a glossy glass screen, so be aware of that. I happen to find the glass sleek and modern, so there's that. Performance wise it works well - about what I'd expect out of a Windows laptop. My major complaint would be that it reduces battery life. I seem to draw an additional 2-3 watts overall as opposed to @Ionising_Radiation (who doesn't have one) which is the difference between 6.5-7h idle/light use and 9.5-10h.

Aside from that, I'm not exactly thrilled with the panel I received. I went through many replacements (some re-orders even) and never won the panel lottery. Basically, LG's screens seem to have varying levels of what I call "pinstripe effect". This makes certain colors appear pinstriped instead of solid. It's not something everyone notices, but as a picky panel person, it sticks out like a sore thumb to me. I don't believe this is exclusive to the touchscreen though, just the 1080p "premium" LG panel. I had this issue on my 7510 but a couple replacements yielded a sample with very minimal pinstriping. For the 7530, I eventually grew tired of seeking replacements and just decided to live with it. It's far more difficult to replace the panel on the touchscreen as you need to replace the entire lid, so keep that in mind.

nesdnuma likes this.
  6. XeonPlanner

Reputations:
    Pinstripe effect may be caused by a low bit value (6 instead of 8) of the display, or a low PWM frequency. I'd like to know your display model so I could have a check.

7. Div033

Reputations:
    It's certainly a 6-bit display with FRC. I'll get you a model number when I get home!

8. Alec Maire

Alec Maire Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Could you post a screenshot of the drivers list after a 5 minute test in latencymon? Are you running the test with the laptop plugged in/high performance plan selected? Do you have c-states on or off?

Idle power draw is probably higher with consistent performance selected but it's unfortunately a required tradeoff if you need the real-time latency for recording/using audio interfaces etc.

Quick tip for any music producers using built in audio on this laptop for producing: if you're using asio4all (which you should be), check the box "allow pull mode (waveRT)" in the menu. I'm not entirely sure what this does (I think it increases the priority of audio threads but I could be wrong) but its allowed me to get a crazy low latency of only 2ms in Ableton and a much higher ceiling with adding plugins before crackling occurs.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  9. Div033

Reputations:
    Here's a screencap from hwinfo on the display:

display.PNG

10. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    That's basically the normal 100% sRGB display, with a digitiser attached.

Haven't received it yet :/