Precision 7530 & Precision 7730 owner's thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Jun 27, 2018.

1. BotenRedWolf

BotenRedWolf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What about parts suppliers in the United States? I just stumbled across your other thread and noticed that bit, but can't seem to find anywhere around here that supplies that stuff (at least not online).

I've swapped a BIOS modded M2200 out twice; once into my 7510, and just recently into a 7520, but now comes the 7530, so the M2200 is going to be sold and hopefully this upgrade done.

2. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Basically, contact Dell spare parts (800-372-3355). I don't think you'll be able to get an actual GPU from them, but cables and other parts you need might be possible if you know the actual part numbers. I've successfully purchased a laptop heatsink assembly from them before. You'll need at least two more DGFF "screw/data" connector things, the power cable, and the dGPU version of the heatsink. The only other source that I have is eBay... These machines are still a bit new for people to be disassembling them for parts though.

BotenRedWolf likes this.
  3. frostbytes

frostbytes Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sounds like it would be a challenge.

4. khvkdv

khvkdv Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can anyone share a BIOS dump from 7730 version 1.0.0 and higher? I will be very grateful. I need a dump from a eeprom flash.

5. faenil

faenil Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Which Arch version did you use and with which kernel? Any other package/configs that could be useful?

I have only managed to get it down to 9.xW with powertop/tlp after disabling dgpu and removing all the devices under the 1st USB root hub, i.e. Bt/webcam/smartcard.

I also tried with the -oem ubuntu kernel which is supposed to be the one used on Dells which come preconfigured with Linux, but that didn't help (actually couldn't get it lower that 12W with that)

6. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Arch doesn’t have a version per sé, does it? Given it’s rolling-release. Im on kernel 5.2.8.

My value of 8 W wasn’t the instantaneous reading from powertop, but rather a time-averaged value. My battery currently has around 94 Wh. It took well over 11 hours to run the battery down to completely empty, so that’s 8 W, regardless of what powertop reports.

7. faenil

faenil Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I assumed you used one of official ISOs, which are time versioned. I guess that wasn't the case :)
    So you did not do any tweaking beyond powertop --auto-tune

Thanks for the info

8. nesdnuma

nesdnuma Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hello,

Does anyone have a 7530 with a touchscreen? What's your opinion about it?

9. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    @Div033, opinions?

10. BotenRedWolf

BotenRedWolf Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This gives me a ridiculous idea because I always want stuff that was never a thing. How's the digitizer hook up? Is it possible to Frankenstein a touch-screen and 4K display?