Precision 7530 & Precision 7730 owner's thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    I got the DCH drivers from NVIDIA, and used the 'Have Disk' method. It installed no problem under Optimus, but not when the discrete GPU is the only one connected.

I'll try this on Tuesday, maybe, as I will be on holiday over the weekend. I also think I rather nudged the fan connectors, and they refuse to stop whirring, so I'll have to re-seat them. Tearing down the Precision is honestly quite arduous and I don't look forward to it, sigh.

At any rate, thanks very much for the information :) I'll have to figure out how I should go about modifying the INFs come next week.

Furthermore, Lightroom no longer saves power when minimised.

EDIT: I realised how straightforward the edit would be, and ended up doing it anyway. Drastic boost in performance, by another ~1000 points.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  2. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    Let me summarise what I've done:

1. Purchased the Quadro RTX 3000 DGFF2 (DGFF2 for the 7530/7540, DGFF3 goes in the 7730/7740) from Dell, for a particularly exorbitant price :vbcool:
    2. Replaced the Quadro P3200 in my machine with the RTX 3000 DGFF
    3. Performed the INF mod as @Aaron44126 mentioned (remember to do this twice, for Optimus on and off, thanks so much for the insight, @Aaron44126)
    4. Benchmarked, results here.

Easy 25-30% performance improvement over the Quadro P3200.

Also note that after the INF mod has been performed, the power draw drops, again! when Lightroom is opened and minimised.

triturbo likes this.
  3. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Is the CUDA core count still "wrong" with the INF mod done?

4. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    Yep.

I am inclined to believe now that the GPU actually only has 1920 cores. Unfortunately, I don't have an X-ray imaging set-up on hand to verify this, given that one can't find them outside of physics labs and hospitals. Maybe it's time for a chest x-ray.

5. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    I agree, but it is rather strange, because the 2304 number was widely reported (I figured it came from NVIDIA but I can't actually find it on their web site so maybe not).

Do post back if you manage to solve the fan whirring issue. I'm wondering if it is a BIOS thing and not because the connectors aren't in right. Seems odd that it would happen to both fans if it was a mistake like that. There have been other Precision GPU upgrade stories that came with fan issues. You could try overriding the BIOS behavior and see what happens (see signature link).

6. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    See the PDF here. This can be found at the very bottom of this website (see Quadro Product Comparison).

Ah, I missed that out, my bad. Modifying the INF and installing the driver properly fixed that, too. I've generally not had fan control problems on both my copies of the 7530, so I generally can't relate to the fan control woes that other Dell users have. If anything, the fans ramp up a little too slowly, but when they do, they push a lot of air.

7. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Ok, yes then. I guess maybe there was a period of time during development when the count changed and their promo material wasn't updated. I think that the 1920 number makes more sense, just looking at how it would separate it more from the RTX 4000.

Anyway. It sounds like you have had a totally smooth upgrade then (other than the expected performance gain being wrong due to bad specs). I'd love to be able to upgrade my 7760's GPU at some point (thinking way ahead here :p). Dell, keep the card format the same!

8. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    Indeed! And in fact, 30% more performance at the same power seems pretty good, to be honest.

9. faenil

faenil Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Did you guys manage to solve the idle power consumption issues ont the 7530? I am currently testing an m15 but I was considering switching to the 7530. On the m15 I can idle at 7.5-8W, doing nothing. However it doesn't seem to be able to reach Package C State 8, the minimum it reaches is PC3, while the single cores manage to go to C7, not more. What is the situation like on the 7530 with the latest bios and drivers? Have you tried disabling the dGPU video outputs in BIOS and see if that helps decrease the idle power usage?

10. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    As I've discovered, the biggest issue with the notebook is the fact that the GPU also idles rather than going into deep 0 W-sleep, and this overshadows any power savings that the CPU does, even by reaching low C-states. However, in the short testing that I did (keeping Lightroom open, in Develop mode and minimised), the notebook achieved 12 hours of idle, with nothing else but HWiNFO and Lightroom open.