Precision 7530 & Precision 7730 owner's thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    It might work but the system will throttle heavily if used with less than a 180W power adapter. USB-C cannot delivery 180W. The Dell docks that do power over USB-C only go up to 130W, and that is already 30W over the spec.

2. XeonPlanner

XeonPlanner Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm not doing any heavy 3D work here. The power draw RARELY GOES OVER 65W as is stated in my original post. I'm just asking about compatibility, as a Lenovo 65W charger won't work.

3. michaeljquinn

michaeljquinn Newbie

Reputations:
    Seekin help from gurus !!
    I have 7530 with factory win 10 that I am currently dual booting into Ubuntu (running flawlessly so far), but I want to single boot into ubuntu, but preserve a small win 10 as a VirtualBox VM under ubuntu. How to I use/extract my factory win 10 license to use with my VirtualBox VM ??

4. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Copy, paste and execute this command into PowerShell (in administrator mode):

Code:
    (Get-WmiObject -query 'select * from SoftwareLicensingService').OA3xOriginalProductKey

5. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    Doesn't matter. The system throttles much more aggressively than necessary.

6. heikkuri

heikkuri Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  7. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    It looks like we're ordering three WD19DC docks for the office here. Maybe next week I will be able to post some feedback. The TB18DC might not have the consistent issues that it had early on but it still does enough weird stuff to keep me annoyed.

Lumute likes this.
  8. Lumute

Lumute Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Me too, I kind of learned how to operate to avoid issues like unplugging and waiting a couple of minutes before sleeping the OS, etc.

Interested to see how that new dock performs...

9. jeremyshaw

jeremyshaw Big time Idiot

Reputations:
    EDIT: I don't have a Precision of any sort, only a XPS15 7590. I was considering a 7540 at one point, and the associated dock. I did buy the WD19 130W for my XPS15. I didn't get the WD19 TB, solely due to my frustrations with getting TB3 docking and networking to work on my Thinkpad X1C6. These issues are not nearly as severe with my XPS15, though some still exist.

The only real annoyance I have against the WD19DC is it doesn't do TB3 passthrough, since it's dual USB-C, without any TB3 link.

However, I was able to confirm that a single USB-C link (whether using the single USB-C module, or a single link on the Dual Cable module) will still allow for 3 monitors (DP, DP, HDMI), so long as the 3 monitors fall under the bandwidth limit for a 2 lane HBR2 DP connection.

That being said, outside of using, say, three 1280x1024 monitors, there isn't any real use to this information. Even a QHD + FHD 60Hz 4:4:4 SDR setup would exceed the bandwidth required. Mental math seems to say 2 FHD + one HD (likely projector?) would be doable, or 2 FHD + one of the 1280x1024 monitors I mentioned earlier.

Now that I am really curious, I should test this dock with a Nvidia USB-C Virtuallink output, to see if the dock can actually take advantage of DP 1.4 and drive at HBR3 rates. It would be just enough to support one 4K60 4:4:4 SDR monitor.

The literature seems to imply this for the docks, but it requires a rather liberal reading of it. Also implies DSC support, though I don't know if it's just being passed through, or if the dock actually is capable of decompressing it for non-DSC monitors. Probably the former.

It really would improve the longevity of these docks in my mind, and would really make the upgradability a much greater factor, IMO. Though, I haven't actually been able to find the TB3 module for sale.

10. Aaron44126

Reputations:
    The WD19 docks (aside from the TB one) seem to be basically a USB hub that hosts the non-display devices (USB ports, with internally-attached USB audio and USB Ethernet devices) plus a DisplayPort-over-USBC connection for the displays. There is no ASMedia USB controller / PCIe nonsense. Yes, it does not offer a Thunderbolt port and the gobbles both of the ports on the system, so it's a non-starter if you also need to attach a Thunderbolt device. But, I don't have anything Thunderbolt to plug in, I just need a solid display/network/audio/keyboard/mouse connection.

The old WD15 docks were like this as well (USB hub + DisplayPort). I used one for a while with zero issues. I actually switched to the WD15 after trying the TB15 and having a disastrous experience. Since I upgraded to 4K external displays, though, I have been stuck on TB16 and more recently TB18DC because the WD15 doesn't have the bandwidth for dual 4K 60Hz. @Dell-Mano_G did confirm in the 7540/7740 thread that the WD19DC can support dual 4K at 60 Hz.

Unlike the TB18DC, the WD19DC appears to use both of the connections for data, which is part of the reason for the display bandwidth increase over the WD15 dock. The TB18DC only uses one of the Thunderbolt ports for data and the other one is just for extra power.

Anyway. Here's hoping that it actually can run 2x4K60 and otherwise operates as seamlessly as the WD15 did. Find out soon. :)

jeremyshaw likes this.