Precision 7530 & Precision 7730 owner's thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    I observe precisely the same behaviour that you did: after closing Lightroom, the GPU appears to go into idle. However, my power draw remains high (~ 20 W), which is is a telltale sign that the GPU is not sleeping.

I am really quite lost. I think I might demand a motherboard + GPU replacement.

2. JosuaK

JosuaK Newbie

Reputations:
    How do you measure the power draw of the graphics card?
    I also have the combination of i9-8950HK and P3200.

In Idle the P3200 is not active and so I can't see the power draw of the card in HWiNFO. Or have you turned off the graphic switching?

3. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    I have left graphics switching ON—this entire discussion is about high power draw even with Optimus (or graphics switching) left on.

If your P3200 isn't displayed in HWiNFO, you'll need to enable the option below:
    [​IMG]

And then restart HWiNFO. Don't be misled by the 0.000 W: if your unplugged idle power draw is on the order of 15-25 W, then your NVIDIA GPU is almost certainly still running.

4. Martin Ro

Martin Ro Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hm, I'm seing some Schrödinger's cat situation. You try to verify Optimus not working because your P3200 is always active. But to do so, you need to wake (activate) the P3200 to measure it's power draw. This way you most likely bring in some additional unkown factor into your observations.

Already checked what happens if you disable that point and how long your battery lasts without even using HWInfo ? Maybe HWInfo is one culprit...

5. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    Ah, that's why HWiNFO has three options pertaining to the GPU: one to wake it, and the other to continuously poll it (this is the one that keeps it awake).

As mentioned earlier, the power draw charts I put up were with data extracted with HWiNFO, with that option un-checked.

Let me summarise everything until now:
    1. I observed roughly equal and high power draw and hence battery life regardless of whether or not the Graphics Switching option in the BIOS was checked or not, and regardless of whether or not the Discrete Graphics Controller Direct Output Mode option was checked or not. Two options each with two toggles = 4 total combinations, all of which I tested.
    2. I recently chanced upon the observation that:
    3. Opening Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic CC v8.2
    4. Importing a photo
    5. Setting Lightroom to 'Develop' mode
    6. and minimising it, led to massive improvements in battery life after it was minimised (a doubling, as shown earlier)
    7. I proceeded to test this hypothesis with HWiNFO logging data, with that option both checked and unchecked. There was marginal difference in the power draw, and the biggest contributor was Lightroom's odd behaviour.
    This led me to the conclusion that Optimus on the Precisions is poorly implemented; this is further cemented by the fact that @SvenC owns a Precision 7730 with the 8950HK, that is supposedly a power-hungry machine, and his notebook reaches ~9.5 hours of battery life with light use.

Martin Ro likes this.
  6. Martin Ro

Martin Ro Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the in deep explanation of your doings. This Schrödinger idea came only because of the mention of "wake gpu" on hwinfo.

But in the meantime I tested myself and couldn't see any real impact at that point.

7. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Question @Ionising_Radiation:
    If you have the system running with Lightroom minimized so that the dGPU sleeps properly...
    If you fire up another app that wants to use the NVIDIA GPU, does the NVIDIA GPU "wake up" and run as it should? Does it sleep again when that app is closed?

If that is the case, I am wondering if it would be feasible to figure out what Lightroom is doing to sleep the GPU, and then just write a silly background app that does whatever that is.

8. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    That's a good question. I fired up Kingdom Come: Deliverance to see what happened, and indeed, the GPU power rose to around 30 W, and battery discharge rate was around 50 W (limited by the fact that my notebook was un-plugged, of course). When I closed it again (provided Lightroom was still open and minimised), the discharge rate dropped back down to around 8-9 W (this was because I had VS Code, Acrobat and around a dozen tabs in Chrome open).

Definitely Lightroom doing something behind the scenes—whatever it is, it's good for my battery. I have, on average, gained around 3 extra hours of in-use battery life.

EDIT: I'd like to add that the screen-off idle discharge rate is stupendously low, at a mere 3 W.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  9. timur38

timur38 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone know if eBay
    NYFJH battery works with 7530? Dell shows the 97 battery part number CJ18V. Are these the same battery? Thank you.

10. rwzeitgeist

rwzeitgeist Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019