Precision 7530 & Precision 7730 owner's thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Jun 27, 2018.

1. David11754

David11754 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In order to change the screen on my own, to which specifications should I pay attention to? Is the type of connector enough (eDP, 40 pins for 7530)?

2. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Many new screens, especially the high-refresh-rate ones that are meant to go in 'narrow bezel' laptops don't have screw holes for you to install them in. Cases in point are the LG LP156WFG-SPB2, the AUO B156HAN08.2, and the BOE NV156FHM-N4K probably won't fit, or might need some modification.

Make sure you select a screen made a little earlier, before the bezel fad set in, like the B156HAN07.0, for instance.

3. Kyle

Kyle JVC SZ2000 Dual-Driver Headphones

Reputations:
    Glossy displays *will* appear more sharp than matte displays - this can be jarring if you're moving from glossy to matte. I had this issue when I move from 1080p glossy to 1080p matte.

The 4k matte display however is better than 1080p matte.

I have some light bleed (or shadows?) issue on my 7730. Fortunately, I mostly work in very low brightness mode (in linux 2-5% of the maximum). In low brighness, the light bleed goes away, blacks are black, I don't see any grainyness (apart from videos). Sharpness is fantastic, the desktop background appears painted on.

One other thing you should try is boot off a linux mint MATE edition USB stick and see if the grainyness issue is still there. Just to confirm that this is not an OS issue. Very easy to make a linux mint MATE edition USB stick. Instructions: https://linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/burn.html

4. KS.Sharma

KS.Sharma Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks, yeah already running elementaryOS in a VM. Will boot up using a usb to see if that makes a difference.

5. Jacobus

Jacobus Newbie

Reputations:
    It took a bit but I finally got the replacement palmrest, (that junction circuit board isn't available separately). I have a question though before I go and replace it. There's instructions that say to replace the thermal pad for the PCH chip and that it can be found taped to the bottom of the palmrest. The only thing that looks like a possibility seems too thick to be a thermal pad. It measures about 7/16" square and is about 1/4" thick and is shown in the 3rd and 4th picture. (If I could figure out how to post 'em) How do I add pictures?

6. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    At the office today, I checked my 7530 and I think I see what you mean here. There are "grains" on the screen that don't move when you scroll and it is more apparent against a bright background.

I'm not sure how much it varies by panel. I basically have to stick my face about 6-8 inches away from the screen before I can really see it. I can sort of see it from further away but only if I really stare at one spot on the screen. I believe that this is simply because of the matte finish that this display has. It has never bothered me in the past, I didn't even notice. Maybe you are more sensitive about this texture than I am.

7. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Notebook Guru

Reputations:

I bet that this is the anti-glare coating that you see. If I pay attention, I can sometimes notice it on some regular sized matte 4K panels.

8. KS.Sharma

KS.Sharma Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for taking the time to check it. Yes, I seem to notice it more and it really put a lot of strain on my eyes. They replaced the screen and the new one is exactly the same. The other issue is the changes in the display brightness on a slight angle change (I guess you mentioned it as screen door effect). I have latitude and XPS at work and their displays are way better than what Dell has put on this machine. Shame on Dell, I have to return otherwise wonderful machine.

9. Kyle

Kyle JVC SZ2000 Dual-Driver Headphones

Reputations:
    I think what they said is that this is an artifact of the matte finish - it will be there no matter which manufacturer.

10. KS.Sharma

KS.Sharma Newbie

Reputations:
    Wify's XPS has matty 4k. Doesn't show any of the symptoms of this display.