Precision 7530 & Precision 7730 owner's thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    And if ~ 1 GB/s felt slow for said data work, I'm sure the operator in question would've moved to a server/HEDT platform like Xeon Silver+, Core i9 Extreme, AMD Ryzen Threadripper, or Epyc. These are all really wonderful options for data hoarders who want full-fledged NVMe setups. With 60+ PCIe lanes, one can connect 15 NVMe drives and achieve absolutely monstrous bandwidths of ~ 50 GB/s, effectively filling terabyte-sized drives in mere seconds.

2. alittleteapot

alittleteapot Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Of the two, I'd definitely lean towards the 7730. You'll likely pay more, but after years of using Precisions, I don't have any real complaints with Dell ProSupport - they've sent technicians to my office multiple times to fix things that went wrong within the warranty period. It's also physically very easy to carry and use, as a laptop - the Acer looks huge and unwieldy. You'll pay a premium, but for a machine that you use for work to get stuff done, it's not bad compared to other vendors.

yaroslavnguyen likes this.
  3. brazzmonkey

brazzmonkey Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I run linux exclusively. So I suppose this is hardware-related, not OS-related. It could be a faulty cable or mobo, a bad design or a fragile connector. I guess you guys have an dock with an up-to-date firmware?

4. frostbytes

frostbytes Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes, all up to date.

5. yaroslavnguyen

yaroslavnguyen Newbie

Reputations:
    Me too, just love the design of 7730, thanks man

6. dk23

dk23 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have two configuration questions. 7730 (P3200) with 16GB (2x 8GB) Dell installed (under KB) any problem with installing additional 32GB (2x 16GB) of the same spec? Google seems to think no problem. Can the battery be removed if plugged into power supply?

FYI: I have installed Archlinux with nvidia driver from Arch in nvidia mode. Could not get switching to work. May revisit later.

Thanks

7. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yes you can upgrade the RAM this way, I did the same thing to upgrade from 32GB (2x16) to 64GB. You can remove the battery and the system will work on AC power.

8. xklis

xklis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @Ionising_Radiation

Hi !

When you have time, mind if you can check what i asked you in this past message ?
    Hope in your opinions !

9. dk23

dk23 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sorry I should have been more explicit, I'm concerned that the two sets of modules are of different sizes one set 2x 8GB and one 2x16GB and any performance hit because of the different sizes.

Thanks

10. xklis

xklis Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi everyone !

Is there anyone here who was lucky enough to try both "Dell Precision 7730" and "Hp Zbook 17 G5" ?

If so, how do you compare their respective buiild quality ?
    Is there any undisputed 'winner' or it's just up to personal tastes ?