Precision 7530 & Precision 7730 owner's thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    3DMark Fire Strike, Time Spy. Any recent AAA video game at 4K resolution (you'll need an external monitor for this), like AC Odyssey, Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Battlefield 1, Battlefield 5. If the Halo MCC comes out soon, that might be a good benchmark, too.

2. lysyjacek

lysyjacek Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Ok, this is weird because when I put Unigine Heaven together with Cinebench on smaller PSU, I can actually see "Connected, discharging" under windows battery tray icon.
    In about 10-15 minutes it went from 100% charge to 96%. Might have as well been happening yesterday I just didn't see it plus I was really confused by all the figures, but the fact is that with bigger adapter I suddenly had higher scores in 3dmark and also no power drops under 100% load.
    Before you ask: Yes, Power Adapter is connected correctly, when I turn off even one of the programs; it starts charging.

I actualy did bought a kill-a-watt because now I am really curious what's happening. I've read a review today of 7530 just like mine (but with 4K instead of FHD screen), when they measured power consumption under 100% load it was drawing a 174W (with a standard GPU BIOS).

Probably tommorow I'll have my own 330W power supply, a Kill-a-watt and plenty if time to see what's really happening. A few pages ago i saw someone wondering about the same thing so I hope I'm not the only one still interested in this...

3. xklis

xklis Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi, thanks for reply and sorry for late answer.

Did you check on your 7530 right ?

Because on all these reviews:

https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/dell-precision-7730
    https://www.productsrace.com/reviews/dell-precision-7730-hands-on-review/
    https://laptopmedia.com/laptop-specs/dell-precision-17-7730/

is reported 720p. (on other sites i've found further info like 0.92 MP 720p@30fps).

Hi, thanks for reply and sorry for late answer.

If you can do it, you would be very helpful.

About throttlestop, could you post a screenshot like this (FIVR):
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/goto/post?id=10882738#post-10882738

and this (Power limits)
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...0-owners-thread.820539/page-202#post-10883267

Are you able to set multipliers like this ?:

1 Core Active---->47
    2 Cores Active--->46
    3 Cores Active--->46
    4 Cores Active--->45
    5 Cores Active--->45
    6 Cores Active--->44

If so try to apply -140mV undervolt to both cpu core and cpu cache and then run for example Aida64 system stability test (Stress CPU only) for 10 minutes max and using "CPUID HWMonitor" check these ?:

1- Cores Frequencies
    2- Cores Temperatures
    3- Cpu Package Power Consumption
    4- Cpu Tdp

Don't forget to post screenshots of every step, it would be very helpful for anybody (not always me).

To @tom7730 and @DreamThtr :

Hi!

I've seen you both have 7730 and i'm currently leaning towards this model too.
    So far are you satisfied with your purchase ? I mean do you feel 7730 is worth the price dell is asking considering what other workstations are on the market ?
    Mind if you share your thoughts about your units ?
    Especially build quality, fan noise under light and heavy load, keyboard, trackpad and trackpoint (if you use it).
    Palm rest area is a fingerprint magnet ?
    What panel do you have ? If it's fhd, what model is it ? (you can use hwinfo to check it).

Could you also tell me the thickness of the laptop with both the lid closed and open ?

Hope in your answers !

4. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    We are using these machines out of (tested) spec. I am willing to bet that 95% of notebooks, whether workstation or gaming, or normal notebook, are not tested with simultaneous GPU + CPU workloads. Secondly, the 7530 was also not meant to run with 33% greater GPU power than intended. It could, as we have proven, but Dell didn't specify the machine as being able to do so. Hence the power drop using the 180 W adaptor.

Otherwise, the 180 W would suffice just fine for all other CPU + GPU combinations. The P3200 draws a maximum of ~ 70 W; the non-OC-able hexacores have a 60 W long-term power limit. Going by 70 + 60 = 130 W, there is (according to Dell) sufficient power. But once we start flashing BIOSes, overclocking, etc, we are going out of Dell's specification. I, too, am planning to get a 240 W adaptor for use at home.

5. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You are right, it is 720p. That's disappointing, I guess I made a bad assumption. The camera in my M6700 is 1080p so they have taken a step back in that area... *sigh*

It's not unusual for a laptop to discharge the battery under heavy load these days, this would be when the PSU can't provide enough power for everything. (MacBook Pros have been doing this for years.) Ideally, manufacturers would include a PSU large enoguh to run the system under full load (CPU+GPU) without having to rely on additional power from the battery. However, you've increased the power drawn from the P3200 to beyond what Dell intended. I do not believe that there is anything wrong with your laptop or PSU if you were observing this. I guess maybe there's the reason that Dell chose to limit the power draw on this GPU in the 7530...

I suspect that if you were to run the system under load for a *long time* and the battery ran out, the system would simply start power throttling and things would slow down a little bit.

Next step would be confirm that the battery power draw doesn't happen with a larger PSU? If that is the case then this is basically a non-issue, as long as you are fine with using the larger brick.

6. tem2

tem2 Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry if I'm not supposed to post here, I'm not a 7730 owner, but I've already searched this thread and found no answer, nor on Dell's website, the specs PDF or google: how many lanes of PCIe are in the Thunderbolt 3 ports?

Bonus question: is the headphone jack a combo jack?

7. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The headphone jack is a combo headphone/headset jack (stereo output mono input).

8. alittleteapot

alittleteapot Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As Ionising_Radiation explained to my post on page 197 of this thread, the answer is: 4, about 4GB/second bandwidth that is shared between all USB ports, all thunderbolt ports, all hard drives, basically everything except the video card and the RAM, as there's a single DMI link between the CPU and the chipset, equivalent to 4 PCIe lanes.

Ionising_Radiation likes this.
  9. Ionising_Radiation

Reputations:
    And this can be generalised not just to the 7730, but to *any* Intel Core CPU, either desktop or notebook (excluding the HEDT Core i9s, of course).

For more dedicated PCIe lanes, one absolutely needs a HEDT CPU—ideally Threadripper.

10. frostbytes

frostbytes Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Anyone else having lots of issues with the latest updates to the TB18DC dock?

My 7730 + TB18DC dock were relatively stable before the latest updates. Now if my 7730 goes to sleep, when it comes back from sleep, the dock won't recognize the two daisy-chained Dell monitors (on DP) and often (thought not always) the external speakers I run through the dock. USB peripherals, on the other hand, seem fine.

At this moment, the system audio isn't detecting the speakers through the dock, even though I've power it and the computer off, and also pulled the power cord to the dock.

Grrrrrrrr.