Precision 7530 & Precision 7730 owner's thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Agreed that the fan is totally tolerable under a light workload. I'll throw in that you'll want to make sure that PCI express link state power management is set to "maximum power savings" in Windows advanced power options. (I think that this is the default for the "balanced" power plan.) If it is not then the fan seems to kick up a lot more often.

2. Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info on the fans. I have a 5520 Latitude now and it is dead silent nearly all the time. Of course it's not near what the Precision is. I purchased a Clevo 17" and it's annoyingly louder than I like... and I can't hear that well, but my wife can hear it across the room. It runs even with general browsing in Firefox... and puts out a good bit of heat. Hoping the Precision will be somewhat better.

3. frostbytes

frostbytes Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nope, I haven't installed the Samsung driver. Are you just letting Windows do it's thing or did you install a separate Microsoft driver?

4. SvenC

SvenC Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I let Windows choose the driver.

You could load the c:\windows\memory.dmp into a debugger like WinDbg and see which driver is on the call stack of the faulting thread. Thats how I identified the Samsung NVMe driver after my BSODs.

SoftDev likes this.
  5. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Some more bugs.

With Windows 1803, I was able to enroll my university's matriculation card onto the Dell ControlVault Contactless Smartcard app (and log in to Windows using it), but with 1809, I can't do that, and receive this error message:
    [​IMG]
    I cannot for the life of me figure out where the 'policy' is that I've disabled.

6. frostbytes

frostbytes Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If it happens consistently, I'll do that. Thanks.

7. SvenC

SvenC Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    For those who cannot get Intel Graphics Control Panel to work: I used DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) from Windows Safe Mode to remove all Intel GPU stuff, unplugged network to keep Windows from auto installing from WU and reinstalled the latest DCH driver downloaded from Intel.

Now the Intel Graphics Service starts and the Control Panel works.

kittenlips and SoftDev like this.
  8. kittenlips

kittenlips Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    You can make the 7530/7730 dead quiet with 0 RPM fans under typical usage. My fans never turn on unless I'm running something CPU intensive.

1. Under Power Plan Advanced Settings -> PCI Express Link State Power Management -> set "Maximum Power Savings" for both battery and plugged in
    2. Undervolt your CPU (and iGPU is you use it) as much as it's stable
    3. On the desktop taskbar power settings slide the power mode all the way to the left "Best battery life" when plugged in and one tick from the left when on battery

Use HWiNFO64 and look at the temps under the following sections:

DELL 07NCNV (Intel PCH)
    DELL EC: DELL Precision 7730

the readings under those sections drive the fan speeds as well as the CPU package temp. Mine are all generally 36-50 C unless something is using a lot of CPU.

2019-01-20.png

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
  9. DerMarkus

DerMarkus Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Interesting I have a 7730 with the same setting you described but my PCH temperature is around 68C on ~idle when connected with dock. What you mean with 'plugged in' ? External power supply only or connection to dock ?

10. kittenlips

kittenlips Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    External power supply.

If I remember correctly some of us experimented and discussed earlier in this thread when the TB3 ports are connected they cause the PCH temp to go up like that. I believe using the DisplayPort or HDMI port doesn’t make the PCH temp rise as much.

DerMarkus likes this.