Precision 7530 & Precision 7730 owner's thread

Discussion in 'Dell Latitude, Vostro, and Precision' started by Aaron44126, Jun 27, 2018.

1. SirTypesALot

SirTypesALot Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What is a good program to use to benchmark my 7530 and see temps and if/where it is being throttled?

SoftDev likes this.
  2. frostbytes

frostbytes Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is it possible to change what program opens when you press the 7730's Calc button?

3. SvenC

SvenC Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AppKey\18

Change or create a string value "ShellExecute" where you enter the full path to the app you want to start when <calc> is pressed.

4. frostbytes

Reputations:
    Perfect. Thanks very much!

5. rproeber

rproeber Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the same question. I’ve done some searching through the posts in this thread and have read all of them but my memory is not so great.

I see that undervolting to about -120 seems to be the sweet spot without BSODs, but I’ve never undervolted before. Can someone supply some more info please as to what program and how to go about it, or point to a post or a site that explains how to do it?

Same question for repasting. How do you know when you need to? I’ve repasted desktop CPUs, and done overclocking on them, but never tweaked a laptop. I’ve purchased some Kryonaut in anticiapation of doing so, but are there instructions someplace on how to do this with a laptop? Particularly the 7530?

6. Aaron44126

Aaron44126 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Undervolting --- You can Google for a tutorial, it's really the same process for all modern CPUs. You can use either Intel XTU or Throttlestop (do not install both at the same time though). Start conservative (-50mV?) and work your way up slowly while the CPU is under load. Once you experience a crash, back off a bit and you've found your limit. The limit varies by each individual CPU. Make sure to test different scenarios at your chosen voltage (heavy load, light/idle load, on battery) to make sure that it is stable.

Repasting --- It's never a bad idea if you feel up for it. It won't make a transformative difference, probably, but you'll get a few degrees lower and that can make a difference for how long the CPU stays at max throttle or maybe help the fans not kick in as often if the laptop is under a more light load. Use isopropyl alcohol to remove the old goop from the CPU, GPU, and heatsink before applying new paste. Don't apply too much paste, a little dot will spread out pretty well when the heatsink is pressed down. (You can always apply the paste, tighten the heatsink and then take the heatsink back off and see how you did — you'll have to clean and re-apply the paste again though.)

If you're going to do both, I say, to the repaste before the undervolt. You'll be changing the thermal conditions in the laptop and that might (slightly) change what your undervolt limit is.

jeremyshaw likes this.
  7. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    On the other hand, undervolting first and then repasting provides a margin for the paste deteriorating over time.

John

8. frostbytes

Reputations:
  9. Ionising_Radiation

Ionising_Radiation ?v = ve*ln(m0/m1)

Reputations:
    Are your drives in RAID or AHCI mode? If they're the latter, disregard the notification.

10. frostbytes

Reputations:
    RAID mode. Any ideas?